Wednesday, August 8, 2007

don't quite know

I don't quite know many things tonight.
One thing I don't quite know is why I've got such good friends. I've always had really good friends--often being my salvation. Today I had some great visits from friends, two of whom would like to open a fine cheese producing dairy. Bizarre, because they had not discussed this with each other.

Another thing I don't know is why I don't like sauerkraut. I really like cabbage. I really like vinegar. I really like dill pickles, and doesn't sauerkraut seem like the dill pickle of cabbage? I like Kimchi. But I don't get a big kick out of sauerkraut. The reason I say this is because some of the aforementioned good friends and I went to Gandolfo's so I could have my first Reuben sandwich. I'd never had one before because of the sauerkraut problem. And again, I really like corned beef, rye bread and spicy mustard. But the Reuben was just a so-so experience. They'd forgotten to put the Swiss cheese on, so that got put on later and only made things worse anyway. Again, doesn't a Reuben sound like something I should like? Well, I didn't hate it, so maybe that's something.

Another thing I don't know is why I like music so much. I am addicted to getting new music. Right now I've got 34.19 gig of music (and Harry Potter audio books [4.8 days or 2.83 gig], 228 podcasts [5.9 days or 5.16 gig] and 1.25 gig of LARGE thesis interview files). So, really, I've got about 26 gigs of music on my computer. But I'm still missing music that I have as of yet to put on my computer. And I still get more and more. I love finding good new music. I'm really enjoying Ryan Adams lately. Listen here. And here is his UBER weird website. Just be patient and wait for the stuff to load.

I don't know how I feel about Barry Bonds breaking the major league record for home runs. People like to claim that nothing has ever been conclusively proven, like in a court, that he was taking Human Growth Hormones. The closest that anything has ever been said is that he might have taken something accidentally or because someone else gave him something. Bob Costas makes a good point in an interview that I just linked. What Bonds did and maintained had never been done in baseball until the exponential muscle explosion over the last 10 or 15 years.

So here's what I don't know, and I'd like your ideas, opinions and wisdom on this problem. I'm not necessarily talking baseball here inasmuch as the battle of right and wrong, and what is the esoteric right and wrong, but the situation is in baseball. The evidence is overwhelming that many ballplayers were on steroids during the muscle (and home run) explosion of the 90s and early 00s, but baseball turned a blind eye. Bud Selig (the commissioner) even tried to claim that he'd heard nothing of the like until just recently--although statement he made in the mid-90s completely contradicted him and made him look dumb. But if baseball and the leaders are turning a blind eye, how tainted is Bonds' record now? There are lots of players that did steroids, but none who came close to breaking the record, so there has got to be some innate talent in there somewhere.
So what's your take? Is the record tainted? If so, how much? Was Bonds doing something wrong if Major League Baseball wasn't doing anything, giving a silent "okay" to what was going on. How much blame does MLB have in the situation? They're cracking down now and are placing the blame solely on the players. Is this right?

One thing I do know is that my brother and I are very similar. He took the Jane Austen heroine quiz and also got Elinor Dashwood.

Another thing I don't know is the reason people read FanFic. For those of you lucky enough to not know what FanFic is, it's fiction written by fans of a book or movie or whatever. It's often horrific. I deeply regret that introed Kathy to it.

As an introduction to the next entry, we sorted Rebekka, Emily and G&K into Hogwarts houses. Rebekka: Gryffindor Emily: Hufflepuff Kathy: Gryffindor Gretchen: Hufflepuff
I was REALLY surprised by Gretchen's and mildly surprised by Emily's. I'm Ravenclaw, if you remember.

The following entry is a Harry Potter entry, so Cassidy, don't read it unless you're done with HP7. That goes for the rest of you, unless you like spoilers.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I was Ravenclaw and Elinor Dashwood as well.

Erika said...

No wonder we're friends. I'm Elinor from Ravenclaw, too.

P.S. I LOVE sauerkraut

Myra Bybee said...

I don't like sauerkraut by itself, but I do like it on ruebens! I love ruebens. You lost me during the sports talk.