Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cha-cha-cha-changes

(Turn the face and strain)

I moved some stuff today to my new apartment. Doesn't that sound weird: my new apartment. I've lived at Pinegar for 5 years, you know. After Em and I were done moving stuff into 331 and giving tons of things to DI, we met Claire and Bradi (a girl) for dinner. I ate too much and had way too much Mr. Pibb. I pretty sure that I passed thru about 30 minutes of the closest thing to a hangover I'll ever feel. Seeing as my condition was less than exemplary, Em and Claire dropped me off at Pinegar.
I walked into P6, noting that Gretchen's car--the yellow bug (Black Cat)--wasn't in the parking lot. Walking into P6 I could feel that it was different. The apartment became very empty when Stick departed for Cedar. Now that the Newt's at her place the apartment doesn't feel like my home any more. Newt and Stick aren't very sentimental people, especially outwardly, and I pretend that I'm not. But I'll admit flat out right now that I miss P6. I'm here right now, but it's not P6 anymore. (This should make it easier to move, eh?) Oh my, this has now become a sob story. Sorry about that.
The time that I've spent here has been wonderful. I've lived at places that have been apartments, but P6 was my home and a place to come to where I felt safe. I'm going to miss this.
There's a lot of change going on now in my life, with my master's program coming to a close, teaching at UVSC, Cindy moving to Virginia, not having P6 as a home and not having the SF home. Life right now is weird. My goal is to come out alive, eh?

So, to quote the lyrics to Changes by quite possibly the creepiest musician of the 70s, David Bowie (Labyrinth, anyone?):
I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
So the days float through my eyes

3 comments:

Cassidy said...

I have always loved that song. My favorite part:
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
But, I always thought that he was saying "Turn and face the STRANGE." Which always sounded so profound to me. You know, when something has changed and it is new, it is strange. But alas, I was wrong.

Myra Bybee said...

I love David Bowie! I have a love hate relationship with change. I hate leaving homes, friends,memories etc., but I love the new friends, homes and experiences it brings!
Labrynth was my favorite movie as a child and I had it memorized. Good thing that aspect of my life has changed!

rantipoler said...

I hate changes. Let's all go back to when we were doing the play and didn't have a care in the world. Well, besides the play, I guess.