Thursday, August 16, 2007

Total ward domination

Since Bepa doesn't live here anymore, someone's gotta do it.
I was for sure going to be here on the 19th, so I'm teaching the lesson in relief society. No biggie. Then Liz wasn't going to be at church and asked if I'd conduct the hymns in sacrament meeting. Alright.
Then Brittany called me and asked if I'd print off the program again this week for the meeting because she'll be at home in New Mexico. It means I get to use a copier again, so I'm fine with that.
Brother Green just called and asked if I'd be here on Sunday. I admit my "Yes" in response was mingled with a slightly maniacal chuckle because I knew what was coming.
"Bishop was wondering if you would be willing to speak this Sunday."
"Of course," I respond, with a burgeoning desire of ascendancy creeping into my heart. "I'd be happy to." The long-awaited possibility for a despotic reign of terror is finally falling into my lap. I must take advantage of this opportunity.
I hang up the phone and text Emily (LewDavis) and let her know. She's from one of the wards that will be combining with us on Sunday, a sure accomplice with a disarmingly honest face.
I text Gretchen who initially tries to usurp some of my power by offering to teach RS to take off the "pressure," I imagine. Probably recognizing that she's tipped her cards, she quickly sends another text saying that we could probably work it out for my teaching Sunday School as well. It is a good idea. But from now on I'll be keeping a closer eye on Newt.
I think Liz was suspecting something and called me to tell me that she'd be here on Sunday. Although I did have an elaborate scheme planned, I think this will only be a minor setback.
I plan greater things: the program, the talk, the lesson...

4 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

Venom takes over the 73rd World! Ha ha ha! I love it!

Cassidy said...

Ok, so one of my first Sundays in my ward I bore my testimony and was eloquent, charming, funny and spiritual. You know, how I always am. Well, this gave everyone in my ward the idea to ask me to teach Relief Society, Sunday school and speak in sacrament meeting all on the same Sunday. Luckily, I realized in enough time what I had agreed to and quickly backed out of the sacrament talk, which I had to give the next week anyway. So, I just taught Sunday school and Relief Society, but it was still WAY too much Cassidy. (And we thought there was no such thing!)

Erika said...

I'm proud that the ward is still in good tyrannical hands.

emily said...

Hahaha, "a sure accomplice with a disarmingly honest face" is probably the best epithet with which I have ever been graced.

Oh, and I can hardly wait for the Vanessa show this Sunday.

What do you suppose the odds are of being called as feng shui coordinators, responsible for making our new chapel look and feel less like a dance studio?