Saturday, August 4, 2007

Another goal in life

This is one that I'm going to fail at throughout my life because I'm just like everyone else, pretty much. But this particular goal is one that means a lot to me and has for a long time. But tonight I'm having a hard time with the order of the phrasing of the goal, which for the last few hours has been a topsy-turvy internal struggle. I want to live my life, every day, in a way that isn't cruel to those around me but instead kind. Or is it that I want to live every moment in a way that is kind to those around me avoiding anything that is cruel?
Before you think, "Wow, Vanessa, big difference," I want to explain why I'm so essentially irked tonight. My whole life, as far back as I can remember, like three or four-years-old, I remember having the utmost disdain for the cruelty of injustice and the injustice of cruelty. I know that life isn't fair, often because we equate fairness with what we consider the ideal path of our lives. But I hate it when I see other people be mean because of how it affects those around them. I've just seen too much of it tonight to be able to push this out of my mind. It's interesting how we can learn so much from the events around us, even if they are so terrible...

I know deep down that I should live my life striving for kindness (hence avoiding cruelty), but I hate cruelty so much that my goal is often to do everything possible to eschew viciousness and then wait for the kindness to set in.
So my goal is officially to be kind to people--not just nice, mind you, which can be false and not very helpful--so that those around me know that I care for them and what happens to them, that they are worth a whole lot and I know that they are. The problem with a goal like this is that I'm going to blow it throughout my life. But now that it's out in the open, I'm held to a higher standard.

2 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

Venom, this is definately one of my main goals in life. To be kind; it sounds so simple and yet it is not easy to be. I fail at it often also, but hopefully someday I will be kind all the time!

Myra Bybee said...

Venom, this is definately one of my main goals in life. To be kind; it sounds so simple and yet it is not easy to be. I fail at it often also, but hopefully someday I will be kind all the time!