Wednesday, August 8, 2007

My first real Harry Potter spoiler post

I was very happy with the way the whole Kreacher story turned out. Kreacher never completely bothered me in the way that Lucius Malfoy bothered me: cruel for cruelness' sake. But I was still irked by the betrayal of Sirius at the end of book 5.
I'm with Hermione in the whole S.P.E.W thing and would've spent 2 sickles for a badge which I probably would've forgotten to sew to my bag. When Harry, Ron and Hermione ended up at Grimmauld Place with Kreacher, I was happy to see what came of it all. I was glad that Regulus was R.A.B. (and that it was Voldemort who killed him like the rumor had suggested [even if technically it was his dark magic]), and I was glad that Kreacher helped in the downfall of a Horcrux. I was disgusted at the pain that Voldemort put him thru in the placing of the Horcrux. But what can one expect? Voldemort often used the causing of pain to those near himself and his servants as a tool of manipulation and control.
But, to get to the meat of my post, I really appreciated how Harry's kindness in giving the locket to Kreacher helped to turn the elf's heart (HP7 pg 199-200). The locket meant a lot to Kreacher: a Black family symbol that he now owned; it was the item that his master had used to take down not only the Dark Lord, but Kreacher's torturer; Regulus had drunk the potion himself instead of forcing the elf to suffer again, which must have meant a lot to Kreacher.
On page 192 of HP7, Kreacher goes for a poker because he'd failed, supposedly, Regulus' orders to keep the locket when Mundungus had nicked the Horcrux. Rowling wrote that Harry "reacted instinctively" and stopped Kreacher from hurting himself. Harry had no desire to see the elf hurt himself and didn't like the way that the elves hurt themselves when they'd disobeyed. Harry actually innately cared for Kreacher and all house-elves alike.
I've heard before that a person or a society is judged on how the "lowest" or poorest members of society are treated. Looking at how Harry and Hermione instinctively reacted to the house-elves and their plight is a good example of their street cred as very kind protagonists.
Anyway, it was this treatment of Kreacher, simple kindness and respect for Kreacher as a being, and solely based on his existence--a sort of "All men are created equal" ideal--that led to the way that Kreacher felt about himself and the way he treated Harry (HP7 227).
The very end of the book was poignant to me (page 734) when Kreacher comes running in leading the house-elves with the battle cry, "Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"
The reason why this scene was so powerful was the point that Rowling makes that kindness can overcome cruelty, that it can change a person, that it can help a person recognize their own worth, that it can inspire greatness and cause the person to be kind in their own actions.

I really liked Kreacher's redemption and think that it might be my favorite subplot of Deathly Hallows.
Oh, as a side note, I didn't like that the 3 objects were called Hallows. It didn't seems to fit for me. It seemed like a misnomer, almost a literary tool to lead us initially to a different conclusion, a distraction tactic.
Your opinions about Kreacher and the name Hallows?

1 comment:

Myra Bybee said...

I agree with you on the kreacher sub-plot. I almost cried reading the part where he charges in withthe house elves! I also agree with the Hollows thing. I totally thought the deathly hollows was a place, not objects.