Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hodge Podge

Of all the infernal, immoral, heinous, maddening things: this.

Great quote from PBS's science show, Nova: "I wouldn't say that Carbon is promiscuous, but it's really friendly."

So I'm sitting outside ward prayer in the Manavu chapel's foyer, writing scandalous honey pot notes when a girl in our ward mentioned that she had recently buried a bird underneath the apple tree at Pinegar. Immediately I said, rather shocked, "What??!!" She looked at me equally shocked. I continued, "You buried a dead bird in our garden?" "Garden? There's not garden there, only weeds." "Wait, do you mean the apple tree next to the Pinegar parking lot? There's a garden there." "No there's not." "Yes there is," I said, frustrated. "I planted it with Gretchen and Kathy."
So our garden had a dead bird planted in it. I called Gretchen in Laramie to ask her just how big of a problem this was. She was much displeased at this news. I walked with some people from the ward to see if there was a bird buried in our garden. She'd interestingly marked the sparrow's grave with a potato label, so it was easily found, right next to our planted potatoes. She didn't mean any malice, and I know it was a mistake. But it's quite the situation. I am nervous about the fact that the potato plant on the left of the picture is now wilted. But that could just be because it's hot.
So I went out on Tuesday to dig up the bird. I couldn't find it. I kept digging deeper and deeper and widening the digging circle. Nothing. The bird has resurrected, I guess. I couldn't find it. There was no apparent feline intervention, either, because the grave marker was intact. I'm gonna have to ask the girl in the ward. I don't want to, because I don't want her to think that I'm hating on her. But I want to protect my garden.
Speaking of, here are some more pictures.

I finally saw the 5th Harry Potter movie tonight. It seemed really quick to me, lots of short clips and an effort to get thru as much as possible so that they could get to the Ministry of Magic. Anyone else feel that way. It was like, boom, boom, boom, Ministry!!
Ahh, and we're so close to the 7th book.

I have something to admit. Some of you may already know this, but have probably kept it under wraps because of how embarrassing it must be in knowing such taboo info about me. But I've decided to let it out in the open.
I really like Tina Turner's music. I just added 500MB of her music: 8 albums. I also really like a lot of Whitney Houston's music.
Those who know this about me are usually shocked. Is this really that shocking? How can you not enjoy "What's love got to do with it?" Such a great song.
My sister Laurel was playing with my iPod and was stunned to find "Love can build a bridge" by the Judds on the iPod. Really, is it that bizarre?

7 comments:

Frau Magister said...

Those weeds under the apple tree sure know how to put themselves in straight lines at regular intervals. Creepy, like someone put them there like that . . .

just a little bit mo said...

1) the shirtdress is disgusting.
2) I loved the 5th Harry Potter movie, but that's probably because I haven't read the book. I thought it was a good movie.
3)I'm glad you are an open Tina Turner fan. That must be a weight off your shoulders, finally admitting it.

Cassidy said...

The shirt dress is like a girl just slept at her boyfriends house but doesn't have any clothes of her own at her house so she just put on one of his shirts. Gross.
Maybe a dead bird is good for your garden, like fertilizer of something.
I love, love, love Whitney Houstons music from the 90s. SO good. I love that you love it too.

emily said...

The "shirtdress" does not, in and of itself, need to be atrocious. Gap just seems to have forgotten the dress part, and is instead falsely advertising an "extra long shirt".

Vanessa Swenson said...

i was slightly mollified by the J.Crew version. but i think it'll take me a while to get over the Gap version. i've been doing Hail Marys to help.

Marie said...

Love Can Build a Bridge is one of the best songs ever. I'm an undercover country music fan, but I'm trying to keep it that way.

Myra Bybee said...

oh wow! Your garden looks pretty obviously like a garden. I love that you love tina turner!