Sunday, May 20, 2007

With my eyes closed

I realized something about myself a while back that I think is sorta goofy. As many people know, I don't go to bed until it's really, really late. So late in fact that there are times that I'm going to bed and my mom is just waking up. I've told her she should give me a call so that we can chat. But I digress. Since I'm the last one to bed every night in my apartment, I'm the one who turns off any of the lights that are still on. We have a hall light whose switch is just to the right of Kathy's room and my room is just to its left. Often this is the last light that I turn off before heading to my room to go to bed. When I turn this light off I also shut my eyes once the light is off and walk to my bedroom with my eyes closed and don't open them until I've turned on another light. I've realized that I almost always do this at my apartment. When I turn off the last light, I close my eyes until I arrive at my desired destination, choosing to be totally blind. It's the weirdest thing. I'm pretty sure that I've done this for a long time.

4 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

You know what, I have found myself doing the same thing in places I have lived in for a long time. It is a strange little habit!

Cassidy said...

I have done it too. At my parents house, there is a set of stairs and when the light is off, it's PITCH black in that stair well, so I would rather close my eyes then have them open and fell like I am blind. Maybe this habit is not as weird as you think!

Vanessa Swenson said...

This makes me feel a little better about myself.
So I ask Gretchen again if she ever does this. Response: "Why? There is no need to do this. The lack of light is sufficient to blind one. I think you're all barking mad! Good thing that you were all born Mormon and have the light of the gospel, or you might wander around with your eyes closed."
Obviously she still finds us weird.

Cassidy said...

Well, to be honest, she is also weird. :) But, it's not the fact that I want to feel blind, I close my eyes to avoid that feeling. Darkness when my eyes are closed is a natural feeling. But, darkness when my eyes are open scares the hell out of me.