Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A couple of questions

How does one quantify the quality of a good lesson at church?
I mean this from the view of the teacher as well as the ward member listening?

How about how much milk is too much to drink in 6 days? Is two gallons okay? Because I certainly enjoyed them. Got one late Wednesday night, another on Saturday after going 8 hours sans milk, then just bought another one tonight.

Kathy's most ubiquitous nickname is Stick (she used to be stick thin). Gretchen's most common nickname in her family and around here is Newt (long story). Sometimes when they think they're being so funny, Gretchen calls Kathy "Stick-er." Kathy responds in kind by calling Gretchen "Newt-er." Say both of those out loud. Yeah, they think they're so funny.

Oh, the garden's growing. Here are some pictures here, here and here.
I'll get some more garden updates soon with more pictures.

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

As far as lessons go, I feel when preparing mine, I just outline discussions. I like everyone to talk, comment, ect. And of course I throw in the occasional quote from a prophet or scripture. It works. And takes little preparation! What makes it good is if people learn. Right?
What a cute little garden.

Frau Magister said...

I have conservative views about how well I have taught a lesson or received a lesson at church. I feel that the success of a lesson is related to how closely it followed the source material. For example, in Relief Society a lesson from the Spencer Kimball manual should be as its main focus a lesson about Pres. Kimballs views on subject x, not the teachers views or some other persons views. Not that teacher and class opinions dont have there place, because without them its hard to create a learning environment, but they should have their grounding in the text of the lesson.

Same for Sunday school - I get real tired real quick of hearing "Well, Elder McConkie said . . . " or "In Jesus the Christ it says . . ." because even Mormon scriptural commentaries conflict, even when written by apostles. And there is usually too much information to get through in a lesson just from the scriptures themselves to spend too much time talking about what other people have to say.

For this very reason I love my Primary calling!

(Apology: for some reason the apostrophe isnt working)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Hmmm, thanks for both of your comments. It's true about the sticking to the prophets and what the scriptures say. I try hard to do this, even if I do fail at times. It's just me trying to rein in any opinions I have and say what the Lord has said thru his prophets, because they know better. I think maybe it's hard to gauge how well a lesson has gone or if it was really all that effective. It seems ludicrous to expect big changes in everybody (myself included). We all seem to do things at a snail's pace.
I like the garden too, btw.
And I surprisingly enough didn't notice the lack of apostrophes.

Myra Bybee said...

I like your garden! Where exactly is that located? I want a garden, but I think it would die here in this dead place we live in.