Friday, May 25, 2007

From the Latin for 'dashed together, violently shaken'

I love softball. It is a beautiful thing. I especially love 3rd base, called the "hot corner" because it gets so much action and it keeps you on your toes. BYU softball intramural play has an out-of-bounds line about 10 feet away from the 1st and 3rd base foul lines. If the ball goes over the 2nd line, the runners advance a base. Well a girl from the other team was barreling into 3rd and the ball got thrown into pitch from the outfield. I could tell that the ball was going to sail over Larissa's head so I went sprinting (not the Swenson slows defect) for the ball, so that it would go over the line and the girl on 3rd would have to stay put right where she was, no run scored. Well, I ended up diving after it, stopping it one foot from the out of bounds line. I wheeled around on my back and tossed the ball to Larissa to make sure that the girl stayed at 3 bag. Then I realized how hard I had impaled by bun into the back of my head when it had slammed against the ground. I went to get off my knees, and uh, sorta fell over. I then tried to get up again and realized that it was a no-go. The ump came over and I realized that if I didn't get up, they'd begin to suspect something. So I popped up and said that I was fine. I actually got one of those courtesy clap/cheer thingies that you see in college and pro games. I've lived a full life now.
So I played the rest of the game, because it was an AMAZINGLY FUN game. Laws almighty, it was fun.
After the game I talked with Riss for an hour+ by my car. By the end I realized that I wasn't exactly standing up anymore, but leaning. Not the While You Were Sleeping type of leaning, as there was no hugging involved, nor a goofy guy named Joe Jr. So Larissa followed me home to make sure that I'd get there.
I made it upstairs and then promptly was flat on the floor. After Gretchen going thru a long list of symptoms on WebMD, we determined that I probably had a nifty little concussion of the occipital lobe. It was also at this time when Gretchen read, "However, don’t ever get back in the game until your doctor says it’s OK" and then glared at me for playing the inning and a half left in the game. It was a fun game! G and K kept me up, checking my eyeballs for random dilation problems while we watched Batman Begins.
I finally was able to go to bed at 3:00am. Gretch came into my room at 6:35 to check on me, again. "OK, Venom, open your eyes, let me see the dilation." I guess I passed the test.
Right now I'm in my pyjamas, still, at 2:11pm in the middle of Fellowship of the Ring, the extended version. I'm thinking about texting Gretch something about passing into the Shadow World.

Also on a totally unrelated note, I'm craving Chinese food. Before anybody passes this off as unimportant, remember that I've had 5 feet of roast beef, provolone, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, pickle, mustard, oil & vinegar, salt & pepper on wheat sandwiches in the recent days.
Wait, maybe this is related. It could be due to a bump on the head and a switch in craving. Hmmmmmm.


Lucy: [to Jack] Okay, um. What do you mean by the leaning thing? You mean because he gave me flowers?
Jack: And then you *leaned*
Lucy: And then I leaned.
Jack: Yeah.
Lucy: Okay, how did I lean when I leaned?
Jack: It was a lot different from hugging. Hugging's very different. Hugging that involves arms and hands; and leaning is whole bodies moving in like this
[leans toward her suggestively]
Jack: . Leaning involves *wanting*... and *accepting*. *Leaning*...
Joe Jr.: Hey Luce! Is this guy bothering you?
Lucy: [Laughs] No, no.
Joe Jr.: Are you sure? Because it looks like he's *leaning.*

4 comments:

just a little bit mo said...

Ah . . . "While you Were Sleeping." The only truly funny romantic comedy in many a year.

Cassidy said...

My mom watches a little of While You Were Sleeping every night before she goes to bed. Every. Night. It doesn't bother my dad at all. She still laughs at all the jokes. My brother won over his wife when he told her he would take her to the ice capades... "I know a guy."

Vanessa Swenson said...

ahhhh, While You Were Sleeping, the one romance comedy that doesn't totally great on me. Unless you can count the Princess Bride as a romance comedy. But I don't like to the the PB to those standards.
She watches it every night? wow.

Cassidy said...

Well, just a little bit every night. Like, 10 minutes while she falls asleep... but, still. Weird, right?