Friday, May 11, 2007

My Springer-Verlag Graduate Mathematics Text

If I were a Springer-Verlag Graduate Text in Mathematics, I would be Kenneth Ireland and Michael Rosen's A Classical Introduction to Modern Number Theory.
Bridging the gap between elementary number theory and the systematic study of advanced topics, I am a well-developed and accessible text that requires only a familiarity with basic abstract algebra. Historical developement is stressed throughout, along with wide-ranging coverage of significant results with comparitively elementary proofs, some of them new. An extensive bibliography and many challenging exercises are also included. I have been corrected and contain two new chapters which provide a complete proof of the Mordel-Weil theorem for elliptic curves over the rational numbers, and an overview of recent progress on the arithmetic of elliptic curves.
Which Springer GTM would you be? The Springer GTM Test


Found by Gretchen

2 comments:

Cassidy said...

I wish that I could intelligently comment on this blog, but I have to be honest, I have ZERO idea of what you are talking about. Best wishes! Tell Gretchen and Kathy Rimmasch hello from me and that I just adore them. Also, tell them that, shockingly, my calling in my ward right now is Relief Society teacher, which is a calling I have had since I was 18.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Meh, it's some goofy mathy book based on your personality or something. I don't get it either, really.
I read both Kathy and Gretch your message and they both said that you're a great, just capital, and the like. Oh, and that it's funny that you are still teaching RS. Makes me wish that I were there...