Friday, November 30, 2007

I'm so unbelievably stupid.

I'm embarrassed to be telling this story.
I was watching Jeopardy tonight and I was feeling good, one category was all about Romance languages. Ate that one up. Then came final Jeopardy: Word History. Snap! I was ready for this. Answer: This word meaning noxious liquid possibly derives from the name of a love goddess.
And there I sit, thinking, thinking... Ambrosia? No, can't be that. What's the root of poison? No, it's not that. Time's up. First contestant: What is poisonous? No. Second contestant: What is Ambrosia? No. Third contestant: What is venom?

I stared at the word; the first three letters VEN, just as the name VENus. I felt like the worlds dumbest person ever. I mean, who misses her own self on Jeopardy!!! The pain is only compounded by the fact that Venus, for some reason, was also a nickname of mine from 7th grade thru high school.

And, as a side note, yesterday when I was riding the bus to school, I sat across from Samwise Gamgee.

8 comments:

Marie said...

That story was pretty good. I didn't get it either, and I even thought of Venus.
Maybe you sat by one of my FHE bros on the bus, named Sam no less. He looks a lot like Sean Astin.

Claire said...

haha, you're silly.

Lydia and Josh said...

i have to admit, i laughed at this story. its been a while. how are you? one of my mission friends is in your ward i think.

the pachuco cross said...

who's your commander in chief???

Vanessa Swenson said...

You are ;)

Erika said...

I love it. As I read it I sat here puzzling how Venus is related to noxious poisons. Your name has become that much more endearing.e

Myra Bybee said...

Ha ha! I love that story!

rantipoler said...

I love this story. It makes me laugh.