Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Voting everywhere, y ¿¿calentura??

Before I write anything else, I just want to state that I really like eggplant.
That's what I got last night at Olive Garden.

I went to the Provo library yesterday to vote, where I always go to vote. But for some reason they weren't holding any voting there. Frustrating. So the nice lady in the Children's Library helped me and sent me off to Farrer Elementary to vote. My friend Rebeca had just past her thesis defense (Wahoo! since W.ford was on her committee), and she was in the library's parking lot waiting for me and then we were headed off to the Jardín de Olivas. Well, she indulged me and drove me to Farrer, where my name didn't appear on the list of possible voters. I'd been sent to the wrong place again. So the nice lady there helped me by sending me to the old UVSC building at BYU by Helaman Halls. On the way there Sonia called Rebeca trying to figure out where we were and why we were so late. This is when I learned the word "ciudadana" as Rebeca complained about being stuck with this "ciudadana responsable que quiere votar..." Finally I was able to vote, and I think for the first time as a citizen of Utah, the way that I've voted has followed the majority results. Yay! Vouchers killed! Provo results!
It was a weird trip to be part of a majority.

So I went to dinner with 2 argentinas, 1 chilena and 1 uruguya. What did I get from the night?
1st that "calentura" is not "hot flash."
2nd that none of them could remember how to say "hot flash."
3rd that my dad also doesn't know that word in Spanish: "How would I know? I've never had one."

Rebeca would like me to point out here that she doesn't know either because that's still a long way away for her and she has no need to know.

Don't worry, the internet didn't seem to know either.

2 comments:

M said...

You?? With the MAJORITY? IN PROVO?!?! There must be something wrong. :-)

Congrats to Rebeca (I don't have any contact info for her...will you tell her I said so??)

rantipoler said...

I had heard that word before, but had forgotten it since it's not exactly in use in my vocabulary. Why does everyone hate vouchers? Wouldn't they just make the public schools get off their duffs and do a better job? I think the public school system sucks and everyone should go to a charter school, but I'm obviously biased.