Thursday, February 5, 2009

Scriptures & a Tragedy! ...poll

Last winter I started going to Brock's institute classes, which was way too much fun. The Book of Mormon teacher mentioned something one day about a B.o.M. with all references to God underlined that she or a friend had done. So I started one but added to it: counted the number of references and marked the bottom of the page, bracketed quoted words of God & wrote down all of His titles in the back of the book. It was one of those little red pocket-sized ones. I loved it. I had finished it a few months back and it was perfect. Except I no longer have it. I lost it somewhere in Sacramento over the weekend when it took a dive out of my sweater pocket. I am not happy. (GRRRRRRRRR!!) I have, however, decided that if someone finds it and thus joins the church, I will be okay with this fact. Otherwise, I will not conform to my loss.

So I got a new little copy tonight, but this copy is blue and not red. I'm going to start over. Perhaps I just needed to do the exercise again. I'm fine with this, because it was fun the first time and felt a great sense of loss when I finished.

This leads me to my poll: What set of scriptures do you prefer?
Big quad
Small quad
Big triple & separate Bible
Small triple & separate Bible
Extra large scripture set

11 comments:

sallysue said...

I've done that too - well, not lose my B.o.M., but underlined everything dealing with God. I remember trying to decide whether to underline everything that was just for God the Father, or God and Jesus, and if two of the three were included, why not the Holy Ghost.... But, either way it was a good exercise.

I originally had normal, separate size. Then, tiny separate (which were coveted until they just recently again started printing them again.)

Now I have regular quads, maroon. And I'm being picky about my marking - I only use my orange pen.

There, now you know too much information.

sallysue said...

Oh, but I am so very sorry about you losing your little B.o.M.

I loaned mine (the wee red one) to a school mate, and I don't know 1) if she's even reading it, or 2) if I'll ever get it back.

Maybe there will be too new members. :)

FoxyJ said...

Do you want me to go to Sacramento and retrace your steps in search of it? :) Next time you're in town, email me...

I actually don't like the quads and I think I'm in the minority among people I know.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I totally forgot how close you are to Sacramento! Not that my father gave me more than 4 minutes of spare time. He's quite the recreation leader. I'm not a quad lover either. Hinders my study.

Happy Birthday Heidi: If all works out, maybe there will be many members out of this ordeal! And I agree, I'm not totally sure how to handle all of the marking or where to stop the underlining. Something to think about...

David said...

I've lost a few quads in my day... So, I have a concern about your poll. Are we supposed to vote for what we have and like, or what we think you should get? 'cause I think you should get the extra big ones separately, so you have a ton of space for notes and highlights and underlining and sketchings. Unless you have to actually carry them somewhere. So maybe you need to buy several sets.

Amanda Diane said...

Hey Susan :)

Sister Terry pretty much rocks, doesn't she?! I did that exercise too and I absolutely loved it! Of course I doubt my little highlighted Book of Mormon could have compared to yours...cuz you're a super duper smarty pants!! But have fun with the new one sista!

- Amanda

PS - Amy decided to go on a mission. She's in the New York New York South Mission. And when she got there they asked her to learn Spanish. Pretty sweet, huh?

Vanessa Swenson said...

David: Vote for what you like. I luckily didn't lose my mission scriptures. Maybe I should get the largest scriptures. Lots of marking space, as you said, & easy to read in my old age.

Peninsula: Sister Terry is the bomb dot com. I imagine our copies were the spitting image of each other.
Amy's on a mission? I should write her a letter. What an excellent thing for her to have done. How does she spell her last name? I know I'd spell it in Portuguese and it might not get to her.

Amanda Diane said...

Do you have Amy's address? I can totally email it to you if you need it. She spells her last name Montano (with that squiggley line over the "n"). I'm sure that little squiggle-line-thingy-ma-jig has a proper name but I'm not the language genius like you so I'm clueless. :)

Vanessa Swenson said...

MontaƱo with the "tilde"

Totally email me the address!
iamvenom (at) gmail (d0t) com

genius, nah. but obsessed? fo sho.

rantipoler said...

Um, so are you asking about my Spanish scripture, my English scriptures or my Portuguese scriptures? I can't pick more than one on the poll . . .

rantipoler said...

P.S. Random fact: the scripture my parents gave me when I got baptized were white, like the ones in the temple.