Thursday, January 31, 2008

The real demise of Libby

I had first thought that my car, Libby, was finished in June, '07. It was sad, but such is life. Then, my friend, Tseegii, said that her husband, Jack (Battstengel) could fix my car for at least $1000 less than if I took it to a shop. So I went for it and got my car back at the very end of November, as reported in December.
A few Friday's ago Emily and I were going to GASP party and I rear-ended the car in front of us, beating up Libby's front end. I was going 7 mph and hit black ice when I tried to stop because someone way ahead of us had stopped at a green light. This is going to cost me $112. Harumph.
But all of this means that I just got a check for $2002.02 from the insurance company for turning over my car to them.
But there is a silver lining to all of this: because I fixed my car in November, paying $800, instead of selling it for about $400 salvage. This means that I just got $1200 net on Libby, which is pretty hefty over the $400, eh?
Libby and I traveled about 20,000 miles together in about 3 1/2 years. It was a great time...
Here's a slideshow of her last day with me.

Now it's time to start looking for another car, perhaps a 6-gear transmission.

****Oh, funny story. When I was going out to Libby after signing her over to St. Farm, there was this girl, 8 or 9 year old, in the front seat of a Suburban a couple spots away from me who had smashed her face to the window of the car and was mas this hysterical funny face at me. I died. That girl wins the trophy of the day.
And this is what she reminded me of, from Father of the Bride, part II

4 comments:

Frau Magister said...

Goodbye, Libby *sniff*

Myra Bybee said...

Farewell Libby. I love that clip from Father of the Bride2! ha ha ha.

M said...

Ben is highly amused by the six-gear transmission idea. I think it's TOTALLY feasible on a grad student salary... :-)

rantipoler said...

Poor lil' Libby . . .