Friday, February 1, 2008

Adiós libido

So, since my life has been nothing but frustrating as of late, I've decided to post something that makes me laugh. A few years ago I used to listen to a CD all the time, but the first song always confused me. I could never figure out why the singer was saying goodbye to his libido, especially when in the next two lines he was talking about his madre and then his padre. I found this discussion of libido and parents very disturbing.
Ahhhh, but a while later I discovered the truth. Juanes wasn't singing about his libido at all, no he was saying that he was asking God for things like for his mom to stay alive, his father to remember him, then a whole lot of lovey-dovey type stuff: A Dios le pido.
But can I tell just how *relieved* I was to find out that he wasn't saying adiós libido? Talk about awkward. Nope, A Dios le pido (to God him I ask).

Here's the video clip of the song:



And today my mom gets the trophy for rescuing me from a totally bummer of a day and taking me to dinner. She's great for conversation and for making me happy when I'm down.

7 comments:

FoxyJ said...

I've never listened to much Juanes, but I like that song. I'm actually embarrassed that even though I teach Spanish I rarely read anything in Spanish or participate much in non-US culture.

*hanging my head in shame now*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the linkback :)

Juanes has a very good singer, but he does use a lot of words that make more sense to Colombians. I have translated some of his songs and if you ever need help with the meaning of one, just shoot me an e-mail.

It is awesome what the brain does when trying to find familiarity... Smooth Operator in Spanish can sound like Bus a Pereira... or Get Right On it, sound like Chicharrones... there is a Colombian comic that makes fun of just that.

M said...

That's just plain AWESOME. I'm amused. Now I'm wondering what my students think when I play that song before class...

rantipoler said...

Oh wow, libido. That's classic.

Larissa said...

Ha! I gotta say, that one made me laugh!!!!!

Larissa said...

Ha! I gotta say, that one made me laugh!!!!!

Junexpress said...

"Juanes has a very good singer, but he does use a lot of words that make more sense to Colombians. I have translated some of his songs and if you ever need help with the meaning of one, just shoot me an e-mail."

Adios libido! I loved this. please send me logtar.

eliezerluardo@yahoo.com

thanks