Monday, December 10, 2007

Smaller-town Utah

Today I had to go to Payson to take in a voided check for my car insurance. Oh, yeah, Libby is resurrected!! Who knew I'd get her back?
Back to Payson, so I drove to the car insurance people. At the office the had some rather disturbing decorations. They had these large posters with roses in varying stages of life and beauty on them. Three of them all told, probably 3' by 4'. The first one said, 691 All State holders die every day. (2nd) Could today be (3rd) the day you die?
Someone fails Advertising 101!!!! It was so creepy and depressing.
But after that initial shock, my time at the insurance office was rather pleasant. A woman walked by and asked me if I wanted a Coke b/c she was going next store to get some. I had a drink in the car, so I was fine. "You sure?" "Yeah, thanks."
Then the woman helping me sent a fax to Utah's gov't car something or other so that I wouldn't get a $50 fine for not having had insurance on a car I wasn't driving. She typed out this whole memo thingie and helped me know exactly what I could do to get things right. Then we chatted about back in the day when gas was under a dollar, blah blah. It was just relaxed comfortable chatting, with nothing really pressing on us to stop. How is it that 25 minutes to the north in Provo this never happens?
Then I went to The Fork to run a couple more errands. The Fork's a funny place. The high school mascot is the Dons. That's fine, but it becomes especially problematic when it came to the feminine denomination, the Lady Dons, which in my mind is some twisted Spanish hermaphroditic nomenclature, but very funny. Some guy even ranted about this to the Daily Herald. But he suggested the Senoritas or the Donettes. Donettes!!!! What was he thinking? And I'd only go by the Senoritas if there's an ñ involved. I'm not gonna be a Sehn-or-ittuh. Oh, and why not the ¿Doñas? Of course then we'd be the Donnas.
Speaking of gender-bending, I went to The Fork's Macey's and saw some very funny greeting cards. You know the cheesy ones that are around here? Missionary work is a four-letter word: Love. Then there's a darling (wink wink) picture of a little kid with a name tag on with too-big clothes. The name tag of choice for these photos was äldste (Swedish for Elder). Well for the little fake sister missionary with too-large pearls, they also used the äldste name tag. Hmmmm. Oops.
And speaking of local newspapers, The Spanish Fork Press is also funny, funny, funny. My favorite part is the way they spell faux pas: fax pas, fau pax, fau pas, faux pa, fox pas. I think over the years I've seen all of those and probably more variations. The least common variation? faux pas
Who uses faux pas 4 times in one article anyway?


Oh, today Brock and I went to eat and he tried Suco de Caju for the first time and liked it! What American likes cashew juice on the first try?

4 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

Wow, those allstate posters are scary! And I love all your little tid-bits about The Fork, too funny.

Sarah said...

Vanessa...I miss you girls. You need to come around more. Or at least be active Church members. ;) Are you coming on Friday?

Cassidy said...

Wow, Allstate! What were you thinking?

emily said...

i had no idea cashews grew on fruit like that. weird.