Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Hodge Podge #3

In a continuing tradition, I present a random accounting of events and thoughts of the last little bit.

I almost died today. Okay, not really. It snowed a lot over night, and the snowfall is dissipating right now, but we've got something like 6 or 7 or 8 inches. My car was buried under snow and it was a little hard to get out of the parking spot. (For an example, watch here, notice the plate is from Maryland, and you might want to watch it with the volume down, as there's some language...) As I was driving back from UVSC, I had to stop at a red light on State Street, but there was too much slush, so I started to skid sideways into the stop. I corrected myself and then started to skid the other sideways into the stop. Then I straightened out and stopped just fine, right before the double white lines: perfect.

Speaking of skidding, Becky used to be a driving instructor. She does this funny keep-your-car-straight-while-you-skid thing. I wish I had a video of it.

Speaking of Becky, we went bowling Monday night. It was me, Emily, Becky and her friend Shaunae. The first round was exciting and filled with very creative gutter shots, the most exciting of the night being Becky's last one that's rather inexplicable. But as soon as Becky and Shaunae had to leave, Em and I got serious. I'm not the world's best bowler, but I like throwing things--a lot. So I hurtled that blue ball down the lane and got 3 strikes in a row. It was like a baseball game.

Speaking of Em, last night we had sharing time, sorta, while we watched the New Hampshire primary. We like to come up with exciting things to do to celebrate the caucuses and primaries.

So, although I'm quite the democrat, I find myself rooting for Mitt Romney. I want people to vote or not vote for him based on what he says and what his platform is. I think his loss in Iowa was a lot of Huckabee playing the Mormons-aren't-Christians card. We're not voting for a Pastor in Chief, although I think that's what Huckabee's running for. But my rooting for Mitt is sorta funny, and I don't get it. I know who I'm voting for. Mitt could do a lot better, though, if he'd just stick to what he's good at, and not try to be other people.

Senator Obama is an amazing public speaker. I was telling Em how I don't know of any speaker since 1968 to have this kind of ability. 1968 was the year that Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated. The night of King's assassination was a terrible one in our country. Senator Kennedy was in Indianapolis campaigning when he got the news and then had to tell the crowd about the death of Dr. King. There are a couple of videos online of this speech. One is just a short clip of the beginning of the speech; the other is a large section of it, but then has clips of RFK's assassination at the end. But I want to post the whole speech because it is amazingly powerful and shows the hopeful vision of RFK.

4 comments:

emily said...

1) Please do not judge all Marylanders by that video. Most of us know how to use snow shovels.

2) Hooray! I'm a gymnast again! Or are you just saying that I'm short?

3) The baseball clip was a bit upsetting. Please post a warning next time.

4) Anyone surprised that the Daily Universe published a photo of McCain but none of Hillary?

5) Nobody really writes it, but New Hampshire is 30% Franco-American.

Myra Bybee said...

Wow! I just can't get over that car! I just keep thinking why didn't they try going forward after they had backed out a little bit...well that and why didn't they use a shovel?!

Cassidy said...

I think that we have a lot of really good looking candidates this year. Barack is so handsome and so is Mitt.

M said...

Mitt Romney passed out baseball-style cards as part of Iowa-ing. My father-in-law brought one home after working lots and lots for the campaign. (Yeah, don't ask). But he claims to be built like Ben...6'2", 185. I know that he's in shape, but my husband it pretty lanky...and young...so I'm skeptical.

Not that it affects his politics. Just that it's funny.