Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

What can you say? I can think of so many things but some how I can't really come up with anything either. I'm happy that he's with his wife again, because I know he missed her so much. But he's going to be so greatly missed. He was wonderful, absolutely amazing.

I remember the October conference from 1997. The only conference session I've ever been to was the one where he challenged Elder Nelson to a duel. Elder Nelson had just given a talk about how President Hinckley was an wonderful example of our Saviour. After he was done, President, who was conducting, got up and said, "We don't tell the speakers what to talk about; we let the Spirit guide them. But, Elder Nelson, you have taken a grave liberty. I challenge you to a duel in the basement of the Tabernacle after this session of conference." We laughed so hard! Then Elder Monson got up and said, before entering into his talk, "President Hinckley: I'll be your second."
After President Monson was finished talking, President Hinckley rose to end the session. He looked very contrite and said, "Elder Nelson, since I last spoke I want you to know that I have repented."

Then there's this.

Just before the Campinas temple dedication on 17 May, 2002, President Hinckley traveled to Brazil with a couple of members of the Twelve. President Packer was talking with a few leaders and the former president of the Campinas mission, who had been released the year before. Chuckling, and just loud enough for President Hinckley to hear from behind him, President Packer said, "President Hinckley is so excited for the Nauvoo Temple dedication that he's like a boy on Christmas Eve." At that, President Hinckley turned toward him and said, "Boyd, you know it's just because Joseph promised to be there."

And you know how he'd wave his hand when he was making a point? Kathy does the same thing, and for a long time when she would do it, I'd be reminded of the Prophet. But she did it so much that when I saw President Hinckley do it, I would think of Kathy. She thought that was a little bit misguided.

There are so many stories that we could tell. And I think that we should because I love hearing them. So friends...tell me your stories.

2 comments:

Cassidy said...

Thanks for posting this.

Myra Bybee said...

Oh I love him. I loved when he challenged Elder Neilson to a duel. I am going to really miss him.