Sunday, August 16, 2009

Graduation + Pictures

Receiving a master's degree does not mean that you are smart enough to figure out how to put on your regalia. Don't worry, though, I finally figured it out, probably. The sleeves for a master's have this goofy extra bit of fabric that you might as well store stuff in. I should've hidden a bagel or something. However, I was in the front row, so that would've been tacky.

Sometimes the speeches can be fairly boring. But it was as if the speech at my convocation had been tailored for me. One of my favorite professors gave a talk that included many etymologies of words. Talk about awesomeness.

Walking out afterward, I saw my mom who was already tearing up. I hugged her and started to cry, of course, but mostly remained tuff. My dad cried pretty hard when he hugged me, which caught me off guard, thus destroying my composure. I am a bawl baby. Again, I reference this video.

Anyway, pictures:
Notice the nifty temari ball in my hands, that Aunt Suezie (Gretchen and Kathy's mom) made me. I'd received another one from her at the 5K that I'd kept by my computer as I finished the thesis.

Me and my mom:

Dad, me, Mom:

Dad and Mom showing the love:

My friends (Gretchen, Aunt Suezie, Kathy, me, Shannon):

I graduated at the same time as my friend Patrícia. Arwen, on the right, is the graduate secretary. She is a huge reason why a lot of us graduate, I think.

Later, my coworkers stealthily decorated my cubicle. They also gave me dried mangoes and a bag of broccoli. They know me well.


So there you have it. I finally graduated. After 25 years of being a student, I find myself still feeling like I have homework to do at night, flummoxed when I realize that I have nothing due. I think I might take UVU up on their free 3 course credits a semester. I love learning.


City pictures key:

23 comments:

Cindy said...

You could clean your room now.

Beth schell said...

I love the picture of Porto. I love that city. So romantic.

Vanessa Swenson said...

mom: good point.

Beth: I was sad that I only got to see it as a drive-by when I was I Portugal. But it remains an excuse to have to go back.

Erika said...

Congratulations!!! Not being in school is a very weird feeling. But don't worry. The school anxiety dreams will continue for the rest of your life.

sloan said...

Ok so your blog entries are hilarious! I love all of your hyperlinks especially since the first one I clicked on was this "hawt" african-american in a purple suit telling me that it is alright to cry. I feel so much better now. :)

Vanessa Swenson said...

...especially if I decide to teach elementary school?

Vanessa Swenson said...

did you like the picture of my nintendo boyfriend?

Brecken said...

congrats on the graduation! You must feel great to have all that accomplished....You may have time now to do other things, like clean your room or sleep!

Vanessa Swenson said...

thanks! it feels weird. but i'm celebrating by watching documentaries and cleaning me room and reorganizing my books.
partay.

Julie Rae said...

Ok, gotta support the cleaning of the room, if for no other reason than to prevent Millie from getting tummy aches. The thing is, you will always miss being a student, regardless of how long you're out of school. I don't miss homework . . . but I miss the motivation. And eventually, you will get used to not having something due every other day. But if you get free classes, take 'em!

Jared Blanco said...

let me jump on the congratulation train, again.

Congratulations.

I mean it.

Now I am curious as to what your thesis was about. If you even want to send me a copy, I would love to read it over the course of my lifetime. We could even exchange theses!!

M said...

HOOOOOOORAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!

I'm SO excited for you. You have to keep me updated on what comes next (because I'm sure it'll be cooler of most of my "what nexts"). Any interest in moving to Indiana?

Vanessa Swenson said...

Obrigada, Jarede!!

maybe i'll blog about my thesis now that it's done. yeah. that's what I'll do. my thesis just came in the mail today. it's totally a picture book.

i'm loading the thing into an online storage unit, so maybe I'll link the puppy.
you could do the same, then I could read yours, too :D

Vanessa Swenson said...

Em: thanks :D
I don't really know if anything exciting is coming next. I dunno, you have 2 really, really cute kids. That trumps anything that I've got. I mean I'm scanning family photos, but you're taking Bee to ballet lessons. Not a contest.

Sahara said...

Mamma Mia! Well I'll be darned you did it. Verry very berry impresive my friend. Yup.

Vanessa Swenson said...

grazie. mia mamma vorrebbe festeggiare facendo una torta di spaghetti per te.

Brittany said...

Congrats! You rock! :)

rantipoler said...

Hooray for graduation!! I LOVE your mom's comment, btw. Also, those robes ARE dang hard to figure out. And the hood chokes you, ne?

Vanessa Swenson said...

Britt--thanks! ditto!

A-L--The robes are used as a tactic for forced academic humility. It's like, "You think you're so smart with an advanced degree and junk? Just try to figure out these robes. Yeah, not so smart anymore now, are we?"
oh, and i took my mom's advice.

emily said...

4th pic down = too cute.

your coworkers are nice. i would have given you a chocolate fish and a bag of peas.

parabéns!

emily said...

ahem. make that a chocolate-peanut-butter fish.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Skylark: I laughed out loud...that is until I read the snide peanut butter remark.
Now we're enemies.

courtney said...

congratulations! you look so very collegial. and i love your new haircut.

as for cleaning your room, forget about it. after my thesis, i couldn't bring myself to confront the desk portion of my room for approximately 7 months (more like 13 if i'm being totally honest). sometimes you just have to let things happen when they're ready to happen.