Monday, August 10, 2009

Cousins, Conversational Anecdotes, Jeopardy

My cousin Jill just got back from a Spanish-speaking mission in CA. It's nice to have another Spanish speaker in the fam. This meant that we got to have a homecoming and a party with the extended family. The aunts in my family were great and always organized parties for us when we were younger. Seriously, it was like once a month, I swear. The wonderful effect of this is that my cousins are my friends.

Because of this we have great conversations. My cousins are hysterical. But I noticed something today. This is how convos often work with me:

cousin1: funny anecdote
(laughter)
cousin2: witty comment
(continued laughter)

me: trivia comment worthy (if lucky) of Jeopardy
cousin3: another funny anecdote
(laughter)
cousin2: witty comment again
(continued laughter)
cousin1: awesome story
...
me: (silent for a while contemplating the syntax of a sentence and, consequently lost in the continuing conversation)


anyway, I'm a professed nerd.

2 comments:

Lydia and Josh said...

This is good because you make the story teller feel good by laughing at their story and then you help move the conversation along by bring up new possible topics. Also I've heard you share plenty of good anecdotes too. I enjoy conversating with you!

Laurel said...

you are a nerd. a tutu wearing nerd.