Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cookies

This story happened last fall and I often ruminate on it.

So there was this divisive proposition on the California ballot last year, as you recall. Protests for and against it were happening all over the state. On both sides there were groups of people that crossed the line. I think that's why this story that I'm going to summarize seems so singular to me.

I have a friend who's dad was in charge of a religious congregation. There was to be a protest outside the church building where they met. He decided that he was going to have fresh homemade cookies for these protesters, that it was better to show Christian kindness than to allow for a situation that could erupt into anger on both sides. His family and (I think) other members of the congregation were there with milk and cookies. After all, the protesters had a right to be there. This simple act defused what might've ended up being a very tense situation.

This idea was probably in my fuzzy subconscious when I decided to take this leap. I'm not perfect in my interactions with my fellow human beings, especially when political ideas are involved. This story just gave me a higher level of kindness to shoot for.

5 comments:

M said...

I don't have much of anything to say, especially of the intelligent sort. But the title of your post reminded me that though Ben and I use the EXACT same recipe and EXACT same ingredients and EXACT same oven (being as we live and shop together), his chocolate chip cookies turn out better than mine EVERY SINGLE TIME! (But I'm not bitter... ;-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

heh.
is it the way Ben stirs? is his dough fluffier? you should spy on him next time.

rantipoler said...

I'm glad to hear that. It's really amazing how much hatred is still circulating as a result of that whole thing.

rantipoler said...

Also, I was glad to see your post was about actual cookies rather than about "making cookies".

Vanessa Swenson said...

{shakes her head} tsk tsk