Saturday, July 18, 2009

caught at kneaders

First, my Protegé (what a silly accent mark) is rated at a combined highway and city at about 24mpg (22 city, 28 highway). When I filled up today, my last tank ran at 35mpg. How sweet is that?


We had a softball game this morning at 8:15, which we lost by 1 run, but I'm okay with that, because maybe we'll end up in a lower tournament bracket. After the game I went to Kneaders to wait for Shannon because you know their french toast is so good for breakfast. While I'm sitting there waiting, three players from the other team walked in and over to the table next to me. The conversation went as follows:
Guy at table, "Hey did you guys win?"
Player in Mickey Mantle T-shirt, "Yeah...but the other team sucked, so..."
Me, after a pause, "Hey, uh...?" Then I looked right at him with my eyebrow raised in a "are you serious" sorta way.
Anyway, he backtracked and said, "Oh, we sucked, too." [awkward]
Then the girls that he was with started talking to me about where we'd all fit into the tournament brackets and how losing can actually be beneficial. Then Shannon walked in and it was a lot better. We sat on the other side of Kneaders.

It has me thinking, I bet I've done that a lot, said stupid stuff like that but never been called on it. Sigh...something to check myself on.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Yes, their french toast is to die for! I've been missing Utah all week, and you just cinched it for me. I have to find some way to get there . . . soon. I just can't figure out how yet. I'll let you know. We can meet up at Kneaders.

P.S. Thanks for all the background info on the Limonada - I was called out by a couple of Brazilian-serving missionaries out here who doubted my capabilities. They tasted the divine nectar and immediately repented.

Going bananas said...

I was at a basketball game once watching my brother play. I commented how one player could not jump, and that he was a hindrance to the team. I was immediately chastised for my remark by the man sitting next to me, who introduced himself as the boy's father. Yikes! I felt like an idiot.

M said...

I love the gas thing! Always a good boost. On the softball thing, the fact that you can be a morning person for it makes it clearer to me just how much you like it. :-)

Larissa said...

I love this story - I really do. I dare say I wish I caught people talking about me more often. I did have an awkward occurrence where a girl crushing on the guy I had just broken up with came over and started chattering excitedly about him. I definitely called her on it. Good thing she was ten years younger than me....more awkward! :-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Hah! I love that you left that comment as your alter ego the nun.