Friday, July 24, 2009

Loosely connected to the 24th of July

The only real connection that this post has to Pioneer Day is that both things are sorta Mormony. Mostly I'm just getting all mythological. The thing that I'm posting about is Aztecy and a bit more Hopi-y, though. There's a common thread of mythology that goes throughout the Americas. The Hopi story is the one I find most fascinating, but I'm gonna save that one for last.

A lot of people have heard of Quetzalcoatl. Such a fun word to say. Anyway, Quetzalcoatl is a deity from Mesoamerican environs. The myths about him are varied; sometimes he's a man, sometimes it's a serpent. Probably my favorite iteration of the myth is that Quetzalcoatl was a priest in the Aztec religion who was loved by the people and fought for the idea that human sacrifice was wrong. Another priest was jealous of his influence over the people, so he decided to knock out Quetzalcoatl and sacrifice Q's personal helper in an effort to stop a drought. Q came to just in time, made it to the top of the pyramid and jumped in front of the knife to protect his helper. Q died and a pall came over the gathered crowd. At this point Q returns as a ghost or a being of some sort to speak with the people and preach to them about the evils of human sacrifice. Once he's done, he's taken into the heavens and becomes what we call the Pleiades. This was done so that the people would always remember Quetzalcoatl's teachings. So now when I see the Pleiades, I think of Quetzalcoatl.
Of course, there's the LDS interpretation, too.

So, the Hopi. In the Hopi version of this story they reference the Lost White Brother, who they call Pahana. The basics of the story reference an Elder Brother who left toward the east. He is to return and when he comes back the wicked will be destroyed and peace will return to the land. He'll bring with him a portion of the Hopi's sacred stone that is now with the "Fire Clan." Oh, and when he comes back, he'll be wearing red.
It's fascinating stuff, no?

3 comments:

Ben said...

Just curious, what is your source material? I was taught that Quetzalcoatl was a Toltec dude that was expelled from his people because of sexual sin, i.e. , he got it on when he shouldn't have. He left on a raft of sorts and vowed to return. But this is probably an archetype of some sort because similar stories show up in many mesoamerican cultures. I can't remember what book I read my info in, so I guess that means that you don't have to answer if you'd rather not.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Hey Ben. There are so many different versions of Quetzlecoatl's story, even within a tribe or group there are differing ideas. I've watched tons of documentaries and read stuff about him. I'm on my cell, so I don't have anything in front of me, but Wikipedia has some info (and references to check out). I'll see if I can find some of the documentaries on Hulu.
Anyway, I find the stuff so intriguing.

Jeremy & Andrea said...

i love that if you read through enough history references to christ are made..umm hello hercules?? anyhow nice insight.