Tuesday, July 14, 2009

In my soul

I go through musical obsession stages, where I get stuck on a genre or a few musicians. I eventually mellow out and my music gets more shuffled again. For months now I've been stuck on soul music and Motown, with Van Morrison thrown in for pure pleasure. I think I've been in the mood to rock my head around with some attitude.
To give you a bit of the flava of what I'm talking about:

Marvin Gaye:
Ain't No Mountain High Enough.
Got to Give it Up.
And we know who's dedicating this song to whom:


Gladys Knight and the Pips: (addendum at bottom)
If I Were Your Woman.
I Don't Want To Do Wrong.
And the best one:


Aretha:


Staple Singers:


Curtis Mayfield:
Move on up.


Temptations/Smokey Robinson:


Al Green:
Love and Happiness.

Van Morrison:
Moondance.
Caravan:




I hope everyone enjoyed that as much as I did. mmmmhmmmmmmm


For Emily:

7 comments:

emily said...

1. You will exploit my relationship to that song throughout eternity, won't you?

2. The first tune on your list reminds me of one of my best high school pals. We used to sing that song in computer science class. Which is all very appropriate since, at this very moment, I am playing on your blog instead of doing my php homework.

3. Don't be glad it's night; be Gladys Knight!

Vanessa Swenson said...

1. I will bring this up in the Celestial Kingdom.

2. The song is sort of stalkerish, no?

3. Fixed.

sallysue said...

This was fabulous.
Sometimes I forget that music *gasp* can be FUN!

And Gladys Knight? heh heh.

Ben said...

My Mom raised me on Motown, but I had to discover Marvin Gaye and some soul music on my own. Do you dig Diana Ross? Her soaring voice melts me. The list could go on forever. I think I would be happy if I could spend the rest of my life as a Pip, singing backup for Lady Knight..."A superstar but he didn't get far", that's my favorite line.

Marie said...

You'll never guess what's coming... Bono used to incorporate some Marvin Gaye into his concerts. He feels a real connection with his music and the soul he put into it.
Have you ever seen Wayne do Motown?

M said...

I freaking love Aretha Franklin. And that is most of all I have to say about that. ;-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

sallysue--music can be oh so much fun, especially when it's Motown. But what you do with music is amazing.

Ben--You know there's some music that I'm supposed to like, but can't wrap my heart around, like Queen, the Beach Boys and the Supremes. Some of Diana Ross's later work is OK by me (I like The Wiz), but I've never been a huge fan. And, for this, I am a pariah.

Marie--It isn't a true music post unless you can link it to U2. You an usually do it in 2 steps or less. And your link got me stuck on WLIIA vids on YouTube for like 13 minutes.

Em--yes. she's amazing. Amazing.