Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Desserts, bungee jumping and ironing

There's this show on the Food Network called The Best Thing I Ever Ate. The last episode was about dessert.
Question: What's your best dessert ever?

It got me thinking, what would my best dessert ever be? I'm not a dessertmonger, but I do love a good pie. But thinking about it, I'm fairly certain that my favorite dessert is Gretchen's Gateau Basque. Many of you have had the pleasure of eating this lemon cream and almond filled circular piece of joy. (recipe on the bottom of the blog)

Okay, MO, there's this wonderful picture that you took that has my favorite dessert and three of my favorite people in it. I hope you don't hate me for showing off your photography. I can pay you in feijoada if you want remuneration for my thievery. But I wanna show off the gateau basque:
**If you want me to remove it, MO, I will.


Also, I love ironing, probably more than someone should. Although, I don't know how I feeling about this.



Here's Gretchen's recipe from her cookbook. Man, I've gone all plagiarizy in this blog entry.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gretchen has a COOKBOOK?!
What planet have I been on? How do I get me one of them'ns?!

Amy Martin said...

So, that's really weird. Is Lili Hall one of the girls in that picture? (The girl on the left?) I went to high school with her and we were really good friends. If it is her, can you tell her hi from me?

Jenny said...

Wait! (This is a complete copy of Lili's comment.) Gretchen has a cookbook!? Published and all that jazz? Woa. How do I find that baby? That's edible gold we're talking about!

just a little bit mo said...

Ha! Use any pictures of mine you want--no fee (unless of course you want to make me tasty Brazilian food). It made me happy to see my picture make an appearance on your blog. And yes, the Gateau Basque takes my vote!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Hah! Thanks, Mo!
Tasty Brazilian food sounds really good right now. I'm dern hungry.

Lydia and Josh said...

this is something i have not had the pleasure of trying... yet.

emily said...

Haha! PLEASE enter an extreme ironing contest. I will go with you and document it. I promise.

Vanessa Swenson said...

heh.

Where should we go?

emily said...

How about here?

PS did you know that if you zoom out far enough in Gmaps, all the earth's landmasses appear in duplicate? Try showing that one to CJ.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I feel really good about myself, that it didn't take much zooming out to figure out what it was. However, this could also be because I know the Australian Outback fascinates you.
I'm cool with that.

CJ'd really have a hernia with duplicate land masses.

Megan said...

Gretchen promised me one of those cookbooks...it has one of my recipes...but my favorite dessert is key lime pie.mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Lily said...

That cookbook is worth more than its weight in gold, I tell you!
(and it's heavy!)

Marie said...

chocolate mousse!