Friday, October 12, 2007

Everybody wants to rule the world means getting a haircut

There was this two- or three-year period in my life when I was in elementary school where every single time I went to Susan's Hair Design on Spanish Fork's Main Street (which was about 4 times a year) to get either a hair cut or the twice-yearly perm, the song Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears would come on the radio. They listened to KISN 97.1 and that station never failed to play the song when I'd get my hair cut. Every time I'd go I'd think, "Nah, it won't come on this time. It's a fluke." But, nope, it always came on for like three years without fail. I told my mom about it and she thought I was crazy. But I'd report to her that in the 20 or 60 minutes that I was there, the song had come one. I think she thought it was weirder that I'd noticed or that I'd care to keep track.
Why did I write this? Because the song just came up on my iTunes and before I'd realized that it was playing I got this urge to get a hair cut and I smelled this crazy (nonexistent) whiff of hair permanent chemicals.



Oh, and just as an anecdote that possibly only I find funny/interesting: one of the phonetic books for my thesis makes clear that the [t] and [d] sounds in Portuguese are produced at the front teeth. What? Do we have back teeth?

5 comments:

Frau Magister said...

Any chance of a picture of said haircut/s? I'd like to see the permed Venom . . .

Frau Magister said...

oops, sorry, I'm blind - very nice!

emily said...

yes. they're called molars. somebody needs to get some sleep...

Myra Bybee said...

I am glad to see Pavlov is still correct in his theory! Permed hair huh...that is fun!

rantipoler said...

I really LOVE Tears for Fears.