Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Columbus Day** and gummy candy or "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" and gummy candy

Yesterday was Columbus Day. I think my favorite thing about Columbus Day is the Leif Land First shirt that Sarah wears.
I have a friend from the Portuguese program who wanted (wants??) to do his thesis about the theory that Columbus was actually Portuguese. Who knew that there'd been all of these theories swirling around that Columbus might not actually be the son of a Genoese weaver? I guess Columbus kept his past pretty well hidden, so theories have cropped up. The New York Times had and article about it. But even better they had a condensed chart of the theories. Pretty interesting, but, you know, Occam's Razor, "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the right one," (the excessively long Wikipedia article). So what do you think is the simplest solution? Columbus never wrote in Italian, only Spanish, so... ???

Also, I've had a weird craving lately for a gummy candy. I can't quite put my finger on which kind I'm craving, so my dear blogger friends, do you mind helping me identify what on earth it is that I want? Merci, quoi.

But I am not in the market for gummy bacon, gummy steak, gummy road kill, gummy heart, gummy body parts, gummy hen and eggs, gummy thanksgiving meals, gummy cockroaches, gummy eyeballs, or Haribo bears.

But when diamonds aren't enough...

3 comments:

FoxyJ said...

Dang--I should have done some culture stuff about the descubrimiento in my class last night. I'm a bad teacher. I am doing a cool thing on Dia de los Muertos since we have class on the 31st.

I think you need some of those yummy gummies from Spain, like the long sticks with sour powder on them or the fresas or the little fruits. I fell in love with gummy candy on my mission. At least it's not quite as fattening as pastries...

Myra Bybee said...

I really enjoy gummy peach rings.

just a little bit mo said...

i like the "when diamonds aren't enough" link. I wish I had one of those necklaces right now, as a matter of fact . . .