Tuesday, October 30, 2007

All-Purpose Rabbits

We were talking about hobbies in one of my classes last week. One student was discussing what she used to do as a kid: "Quando eu era mais jovem, eu gostava de andar de coelho." For the huge majority of you out there that no speak the Portuguese, "When I was younger, I used to ride rabbits." cavalo, I believe, is the word she was looking for, horse.

When my dad was on a mission in central California, he was translating for this Spanish-speaking couple during sacrament meeting. During the meeting my father translated Lamb of God (Cordero de Dios) as Conejo de Dios (Rabbit of God). He knew that he had done something wrong when the couple started to shake with laughter.

The other mistake from today I'm pretty sure that I can't post on my blog because it'd get flagged. Oops.

6 comments:

M said...

I was so proud of myself...I understood the mistake! :-)

Portuguese theater class, here I come. :-/

FoxyJ said...

So does that mean that guy who wrote The Alchemist has the last name "rabbit"?

Did Becky tell you about the couple in her class who said they like to "make love" for their hobby? It cracks me up every time I think about it...

Vanessa Swenson said...

Yeah, his name might as well be Pablo Conejo. Where do these names come from? But it's not like Spain's any better. Hispania means "the land of the rabbits."

I'd forgotten about that married couple. Oh, thanks for the belly laugh. We really should keep track of these somewhere.

Cassidy said...

Where did your dad serve his mission? In Fresno? That is the area-ish that I am from.

Vanessa Swenson said...

My dad served in central California. His first area was Fresno. I can't remember all of his areas. But I refer to his mission as "Central California Spanish Speaking."
Where exactly are you from?

Cassidy said...

A little town called Coalinga. About an hour from Fresno. In the Hanford Stake. Ask him if he ever served there.