Saturday, June 9, 2007

Thesis, Thesis, Thesis and the poem

My thesis has overrun my life. I didn't even know what day was today, which led me to totally dog my friend. I'm a total jerk. Did everyone else know that it was Friday. Man. I bite.
Speaking of my thesis, what else have I done today? Well, I put the West Wing on near the end of the day to keep me company. Oh, and this. And especially this, too.

Background:
The girl writing the letter is still in high school. She wrote this poem after a dance or something. I'm typing everything up just the way we got it. I'll put in the paragraph attached to the beginning of the poem:
On the back of this paper I am putting the poem that I wrote. It is so true if you think about it! I just couldn't think about anything but him that day so I put feelings onto paper. Then I gave it to him!

The Boy
He walks onto the floor,
Calls his partner down once more.
She clasps his outsretched hand.
She has always been his greatest fan.

He smiles through perfectly straight teeth,
And begins to move his feet.
He dances his graceful dance.
She tries to follow, but is stuck in a trance.

His eyes light up with each new turn
She looks up and her stomach begins to churn
The music slows and time seems to end,
He has become her best friend.

Then she ends it with:
Tell me what you think! Being able to write poems runs in the family, and I think I got a little of that talent.


So, there you go. Wow. We used to do dramatic interpretations at work. The were very moving.
Have a great day!!!

7 comments:

Marie said...

I have joined your blogging community, well at least will be commenting on yours.
All you thesis people, make me scared for the next year.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Welcome to the blogging community.
You want the truth? I love working on my thesis. I'm having a lot of fun finding the information. Maybe I'm just a nerd.
You starting your program next year? Or are you already in it?

Cassidy said...

Oh boy, oh boy! I have nothing else to say about that without you know, as you like to say "hating".

Myra Bybee said...

I love your links in this blog! ha ha ha

Marie said...

I will be starting my second year in the English (you will have to ignore the extra comma after "All you thesis people"-I don't know how it slipped in)program come fall. I'm excited for the JKB to be done so I can actually have an office! I'm supposed to be working on my thesis this spring/summer, but I haven't been. Sounds familiar. Lisa says hi.

Vanessa Swenson said...

ahhh, the truth comes out. now we know who you are. i had my ideas, but then they were multitudinous. assuming you were undone didn't immediately lead me to your identity.
I actually liked that superfluous comma, it turns the second half of the sentence into a command. Gretchen and i both found that as an invitation to make you scared.
yay for the JKB, btw.
i think your brother would appreciate the klingon entry on my blog.
oh, and tell lisa that i said hello back.

Frau Magister said...

I read the poem to Matt and he said at least it follows Shelley's ideal of poetry, in that it is a spontaneous outburst of emotion, although I would be hesitant to evaluate it by any other poetical criteria.

Love the dear john, btw; I've got a copy of it somewhere.

Also, I made it through my thesis by eating a lot of goat cheese.