Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shouldn't I be doing something else? Plus incriminating photos!!

Well, yes, I've got tons to do, and am I doing any of it? Nope. Shouldn't I be packing? Yes. Shouldn't I be preparing a Portuguese lesson? Of course. Shouldn't I be sleeping? Most assuredly. So what am I doing? I'm listening to This American Life and reading blogs. Shouldn't I be organizing my random effects for my trip? Oh, yeah. Shouldn't I be finding our hotels on maps? Yep.
So what is this blog about? It's about how I love to leave, but I hate getting to that point. I'm going to have tons of fun in Europe. But I wish right now that I could wave a wand and be magically ready...

Today G, K & I went to visit our old roommate Heathi. She and her husband Ephi are moving to Georgia for some more of his army training. So we went north and ate some salsa with her (salsa that was sliced by Victor). We love Heathi. She's the bomb (much like Snickers are--I'd write the "real" word, Heathi, but I'm afraid I would get into too much trouble.) Here's to hoping that she and her mom have fun traveling across the country with cute Max.

Gretchen was not "amused" by the Victor post. I was happy that she didn't pull him on me. MO-I'm glad you cheered for him. Frau Magister-Gretchen didn't respond to the Wengi dealio. I don't know if she was just playing with me. Cassidy-I agree: I love those pictures of Gretch. And I've got more... Will-If Gretchie's looking at you like that, you should keep an eye on where her right hand is. If it's in her pocket, take a step back b/c her fingers might be wrapped around a blade. Brandon-I'm definitely on the "hate" side of her blade. But I don't know if she's decided to use Victor in your favor or not. Pray for good, prepare for bad. It's safer. Myra-I'm glad you love Victor. Gretchen likes you, so I'm sure you're safe. Lydia-With Victor on your side you will always come off conqueror. Bepa-Your love holds no bounds. And yes, Victor cuts so delicately that it's scary.
P.S. I must add that Gretchen would never really use Victor against me mortally, as it were. She's told me many times that he's too sharp and smooth. She would choose something less "kind" like a fork.

As a side note, I've been thinking about cosmetic fixes lately. Not really the surgery type of fixes, but a metaphorical prettying up. I don't know how well I'm going to be able to describe this, but I'm gonna give it a go. When we see a problem, often I've noticed that we try to fix its outward appearance to cover up the deeper difficulty. Fixing the outward vision of something can often be easier, but it makes the situation worse.
Reason #1: When we make a problem pretty, it's almost as if we're making it à la mode, fashionable, acceptable, easier on the eyes.
Reason #2: We don't fix the root of the problem.
Reason #3: It becomes easier to not fix the problem, because we're lulled into this fake sense that everything's okay.
Reason #4: We're making "evil" look "pious." **I use the quotes because I'm not always talking about eternal rights and wrongs.
Reason #5: Because it's often easier to do a "quick-fix," we become lazy and complacent, unskilled in dealing with the real issues of problems.
I'm sure there are other reasons. If you can think of any, I'd love to hear them.
Maybe this entry's been a little esoteric. Sorry about that. What I mean by cosmetic fixes, for example, is like when someone is told to make sure that all of the displays are properly set up for Relief Society, all of the announcements are on the board, etc. When this is the sole focus to see if a Relief Society is running smoothly, that's a problem. There must be a focus on the Spirit and its presence in the room. We have to try our best to make sure that we are trying to grow spiritually during the meeting. But when the measuring stick of a functioning Relief Society is displays, pictures, announcements and the like, we are focusing only on the outward appearance of RS. Am I making sense? We must constantly strive for the Spirit, but we can easily have the false look of a "good" RS with a pretty display. But if we desire the Spirit to be with us, we'll be as prepared as possible as a natural consequence. But a display doesn't invite the Spirit.
That's just one arbitrary example. Do you have any?

There. I'm done rambling on about this for the night. It is most definitely past my bedtime. I'd love, love, love to hear any of your ideas or examples on the topic. In fact, I'd love, love, love it HARD CORE.

Also, I don't think Kathy's getting her just desserts in the area of incriminating pictures. i.e. she always sticks out her tongue. So here are a few photos to delight the senses:


5 comments:

Frau Magister said...

That's too bad that Gretchen didn't take the bait with Wengi. I suppose she's smug knowing that Victorinox recently bought Wenger. Oh well.

It seems like you're dealing with a truth and beauty problem, is beauty truth and truth beauty.

I think another example of this problem would be Young Women's. Never since then have I gotten so much chocolate coated crap.

Vanessa Swenson said...

yes, especially chocolate coated...but with a diet coke, because we're "watching our waistline."

Myra Bybee said...

That was fun to have you give a shout out to your blog readers! I hate getting ready for big trips too, it is stressful! Too bad we aren't magical like Harry Potter! I agree with you about the fixing things to appear good, but they might not really be good underneath it all! Although I like these sort of fixes for my face! I love covering blemishes etc with make-up.

FoxyJ said...

A while ago we had a Relief Society lesson about unity, and the teacher pointed out that too often our urge to be "nice" (ie, pleasant) undermines unity. If we are always putting on a false face instead of being real, people will never get to know us. Obviously you can't be completely uncensored all the time, but it's important to learn how to tactfully state your true feelings and share your true concerns. Also, I hate the fact that too often in our church programs the "business" of outside, trivial things takes energy away from true spiritual learning and preparation.

Erika said...

I love, love, love Kathy, too!