Thursday, June 25, 2009

the goings on surrounding the Oquirrh Mt Temple open house

Did you know that South Jordan is the only city in the world to have 2 LDS temples? I mean, it makes sense when you think about it, I guess.

The video that they show in the highly air-conditioned tents prior to entering the open house has a scene where the show the Vegas temple overlooking miles of suburbs. The words the narrator said at that moment? "The temple points as a beacon." Bepa's response? "Amen."

Oh, and when the topic of eternal marriage was discussed in the video, the scripture in 1 Cor 11:11 was brought up, "Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord." Brian leaned over to me and said, "You are nothing." I started to shake with laughter, Julie Rae glared at him. But it was funny.

The stone tiling in the temple is really beautiful. The limestone came from Morocco and Egypt. Brian said that the lighter sandier color obviously came from Egypt and the wilder design was obviously Moroccan. Logical, I know.

The fabric on the benches in the baptistry totally reminded me of a nice 1970s retro chic design (emphasis on chic).

Some of the chandeliers have a really cool, off-set geometric design. I'm not gonna describe it well, so you're going to have to go to the open house, or take my word for it.

The neighborhood that surrounds the temple has some nice home designs--totally not the nasty cookie-cutter neighborhoods that plague-like in Utah. The designs and the colors totally reminded me and Scottie of San Francisco. Thus, he started to sing the beginning of this.

Once Scottie, Mom and I were in the car, I set the shuffle on my iPod. The first song that popped up was some cheesy Peter, Paul and Mary song that my mom sang all of the lyrics to. Not surprising. The funny thing is that the next song that she song along to was Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by the Eurhythmics. It was really cute. What do you think? Should my mom cut her hair like Annie Lennox?

Scottie and I blabbered on and listened to music the whole way up and back. We tend to do that. The whole while Mom read a book called Jungle Love. No, just kidding, it was Bamboo and Lace, I think. Scottie thinks it should be called Pandas and Doilies.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I think my favorite part was Brian's comment to you: You are nothing. Well done, Brian. (I don't think you're nothing)

Brian said...

Yes, I am that awesome and funny. No extra charge for either. Someone needs to keep Vanessa aware of her shortcomings so that her head doesn't explode. Really, though I don't think she's nothing. I just thought she could handle a really well-placed joke. And from her laughing/hyperventilating afterward - she proved she can. LET THEM EAT CAKE!

Vanessa Swenson said...

BWAHAHAHAHA