Sunday, October 5, 2008

a smattering

Whoop! for General Conference! Those temple announcements brought tears to my eyes. I admit it! I have a good friend in Calgary, a cousin and friends who have served there. Then President Monson announced Córdoba, Argentina, which made me think of my buddy whose dad was mission president there. I also wonder if Elder Scott had something to do with this... Next, Kansas City, then Philly, but really when he announced a temple in Rome?! My hand flew to my mouth. I want to know what changed so that they could do this. I thought of my friends who had served in Italy and what must be going thru their minds (and hearts). Lily wrote an excellent post to this effect.
And when President Monson talked about the temple dedications, yeah, there were tears then, too. Curitiba! Those Brazilians considered Elder Faust "nosso apóstolo" (our apostle). They love Elder Bangerter, too. I think I've had 3 total Bangerter relatives as Portuguese students, but it might be more. That's a very huge family.
I loved the fact that three of the speakers at the first session spoke English as a second language. The Church is spreading throughout the world and it makes me so happy to see this in General Conference.
General Conference Saturday was a great day. It always takes me a few days to digest Gen Cong, so maybe I'll bring it up again later. I do think Elder Holland's talk was something of wonderful.



Onto other things:
I hate cold weather, as I'm sure you all know. Hate it. But one good thing about this is that it's beanie weather! I love beanies. Even though I can't stand the snow, having a beanie on my head makes me feel just a bit better.

Our poor little doggie, Millie, had surgery on Friday, 4 puppy teeth removed and her last shot. What a terrible day, no?
Speaking of pets, can I get an AMEN!?

Friday was also Laurel's birthday. My younger, taller sister is 23. What the heck is up with that?

No amazing football upsets this week.

The Cubbies were swept by the Dodgers. Those poor Cubs fans. I mean, seriously, can't this team win more than 1 World Series in 100 years? Obviously not. The best they have to hope for is a 101-year championship drought. Maybe next year...
Honestly, though, I didn't want to feel guilty rooting against the Cubs if they made it to the World Series against the Tampa Bay Rays. I love watching that team win and have all phlangies crossed.


And this is really funny:



4 comments:

sallysue said...

I cannot tell a lie: I too cried with the announcement of temples. Rome is the one place in Europe I've been; I fell in love with the Vatican, and all the history there. To think that there will now be a temple!

Now for something completely different:
I know of your dislike for UNC (I'm learning the lingo here - that refers specifically to UNC-Chapel Hill - go me!) but, NC generally has some advantages: there is not snow. And if there is, everything shuts down! bwahahaha!!

Sahara said...

ROME!!!!! I didn't even watch conference and found out within the hour. And it even touched my heart and I don't consider myself mormon right now.

Marie said...

You mentioned the word beanie three times and linked to three different pictures and not even once was the Edge-the epitome of beanie wearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge)-brought up! He definitely agrees with you on that one.
Rome is amazing, but I got a little suspicious when they said greater Kansas City area, knowing that it is only fifteen miles from Independence, MO. I think it would be cool if they would builed temples in all those other historical places in addition to Nauvoo.

rantipoler said...

Yay for ROME!!! And poor Cubbies. :( You can't have parents from Chicago and not be something of either a Cubbies or a Sox fan. The funny thing is that my uncle was a Sox fan and my grandpa was a Cubbies fan, and never the twain shall meet.