Monday, October 6, 2008

The Good and the Bad of the 1980s

Lately I've been slammed with flashbacks from the '80s. Well, I don't know how much of it is really flashing back and how much of it is that history is repeating itself. Some of it I don't mind. But some of it I'm very opposed to. To wit:

Things that I want to see repeat from the 1980s:
BYU football undefeated season, with a national championship.
Friendlier relations with Russia.
New Wave Music.
80s Cartoons.
Mormons Rapping. Bepa?
The Cosby Show.
Slap bracelets.
New Kids on the Block. Wait: Wahoo! Donnie was my favorite.


The Mets winning the World Series.
Erasure.

Good mustaches.
Black Michael Jackson.

Good Indiana Jones Movies.

Good Star Wars Movies, with marginal dialog.




Things that I don't want to see repeat from the 1980s:
The sweater dress.
--By extension, leggings and stirrup pants.
Short shorts. Eek.

A football team rapping about winning the Super Bowl--before winning the game.
Bad mustaches.
White Michael Jackson.
Terrible Televangelists.
No Hair Rock. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew.
Bad sequels of Indiana Jones.

The Raiders winning a Super Bowl, especially against my Redskins.
Terrible prequels to Star Wars Movies, with absolutely horrendous dialog.




What have I missed?

15 comments:

Sahara said...

oo I want a slap bracelet. And I still don't get why what's-her-face married Anikin. However you spell it.

Vanessa Swenson said...

i think he used the dark side to seduce her.
they're selling slap bracelets again, you know.

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh! I'm loving this Erasure video! Marcus makes fun of me for liking them, but after seeing that video, how could anyone NOT love them? He literally gets his heart broken and then literally gets respect handed over. No reading between the lines with these guys!

Marie said...

That Mr. T fashion video was hilarious. You've missed this. (Pre-beanie days. Someday I'll stop mentioning them on your blog.)

Sahara said...

They sell slap bracelets??? Nah, really? Well that is very exciting.

Sahara said...

Ok did Bono actually play that guitar at all in the video that Marie posted? Or just have seizures with it. Though somehow he was still hot...lol

Marie said...

I don't think the group actually lets Bono play the guitar. He is too unreliable because he is too busy singing and looking hot:).

Vanessa Swenson said...

Jenny, I love that Erasure video, too, with all my heart.
Marie: The Edge is beanie god. And I am now going to start looking for nice RMs that look like The Edge for you.
Wendy: you should look on ebay and search for slap bracelets. seriously, there are tons.

The Chris Jackson's said...

wonderful flashbacks.....I have to say that the mormon rap was awesome. :) Where have you been? You should call/email/message when you have time.

The Chris Jackson's said...

wonderful flashbacks.....I have to say that the mormon rap was awesome. :) Where have you been? You should call/email/message when you have time.

Erika said...

I am glad to be doing my part in bringing Mormon rappers into the 21st century. I know it aint easy but that's okay cuz we hopeful.

rantipoler said...

I say no to the BYU championship, only because my dad left me the church by myself because of that game. Yes to slap bracelets, since I had one that said "New Kids on the Block" on it. Speaking of New Kids, my room was wallpapered with posters of them and Joey was my fave. In fact, I was pretty sure we would get married some day. And I used to have Mormon Rap memorized. My sense of "cool" was all messed up back then . . .

emily said...

oh my goodness your 80s posts are enormous. now that i finally (i hope it's really finally this time) have a reliable internet connection at home i have the luxury of spending hours catching up on the zillions of videos that you have posted lately.

my point being, yeeeaaahh new wave music. so every morning on my way to work i pass a salon called JUUT and inevitably the music player inside my head cues up "now here we go doot... doot doot..." and speaking of juut, my co-worker went there last week to get her hair cut and turns out her stylist is lds. small mormon world, and i'm not even in utah anymore!

Vanessa Swenson said...

i'm glad you have an internet connection.
would you believe that i held myself back on my video postings? yes, of course you would.

i love that Doot Doot song...I'm glad you think of it.

Weston said...

I am down with the return of the sweater dress, mostly because of Bella Cullen. I can't wait to see her wear the cashmere number from Breaking Dawn. I'll bet she is hottt (yes, that ranks 3 t's in hot!)