Wednesday, March 26, 2008

So many possibilities and a Spoonerism

Barack Obama wants me to go to dinner with him. That's the email that he sent me telling me so. All I've gotta do is donate some more money and maybe write something, I don't know. But Barack Obama sent me a dinner invitation and that makes me happy.

So the names we've got so far: Fidela, Sarah, Vivian, Delilah, Melanie, Charlotte and Ingrid. This is an intriguing list.
Opening Day in baseball is this Sunday--unless you count the quadrennial opening games that they have in Japan (Oakland and Boston this year). I love the beginning of baseball season. So many more possibilities. Any predictions on the World Series, baseball loving readers? Sister Megan Neeley wrote me that she's feeling that it's the Tribe's year. So hopeful...

So last week I was telling Emily a story about this woman, Doris Kearns Goodwin, who used to listen to the baseball games (which were all day games at the time) on the radio and keep score because her dad asked her to tell him all about the games when he got home from work. She didn't realize until later that her dad could've just read about them in the paper. He just wanted to share that time with her.
I was trying to explain this story to Emily and inform her about the day games, except for the fact that I switched the first letters of the two words. Gay dames. Yes, baseball used to only play gay dames.






7 comments:

Brock Krainik said...

Rockies all the way! I'm hoping for another Roctober, and hopefully with a championship trophy this time.

Myra Bybee said...

How about the Cubbies! I think even Sister Neeley would approve of this!

courtney said...

"gay dames" and then dame edna?! that's blogging gold, vanessa! well played.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Rockies and Cubbies. Intriguing.

Thanks, Courtney. Maybe it was just an excuse to throw some Dame Edna onto my blog?

rantipoler said...

"Tapas" and "olé," possum . . . What else do you need in a romantic encounter?

Cassidy said...

How nice of Barack to invite you. Have a great time and tell him I said hello.

Frau Magister said...

This is late, but I cast my vote for the diamondbacks beating the red sox in the series. Being from Mesa, my team growing up was the cubs, so I wouldn't mind them doing something.