Saturday, April 19, 2008

A huge explosion

I'm sitting at my computer, which I get to do for most of the day writing test, and then suddenly I hear by far the loudest explosion I've ever heard. I had the sliding door open a bit because today's so nice. Anyway, because of this I actually felt the compression of air from said explosion. My left ear, which was closer to the door, still feels a bit funny. The wind chimes hanging from the tree which have been in constant motion since, I don't know, yesterday, stopped--totally stopped--for about 15 seconds because of the concussion of air.
It was eerie, I tell you what. I have no idea what it was, but some of our neighbors started leaving their apartments with their kids and congregated in the cul-de-sac to discuss what happened.
It sounded like it came from just southeast of here. I wanna know what crazy experiment some college student was doing to cause that.

Anyway, I just sat in stoic silence for a sec after it happened. I didn't know what to do. That was one of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed, seriously. I mean, the concussion of air hit me. If I'd been standing up on our balcony I know that it would've been strong enough to push me back a bit.

What the heck was it?

3 comments:

M said...

Ha, you think THAT'S weird...Friday morning an EARTHQUAKE woke me up. Yes, in Indiana. An EARTHQUAKE! Totally bizarre. I think it's funny that the whole 18 months I was in LA, I never felt an earthquake...and here in the heart of the midwest, one wakes me up.

sallysue said...

Did you ever find out what it was?

Vanessa Swenson said...

No, dangit!! I wish I knew what it was. It was the craziest thing, but I have no way of finding out. Maybe I'll hear something at some point. But I don't know any of my neighbors. But the ones in the street had no idea. A great mystery to ask God some day.