Monday, September 17, 2007

I can be such a pragmatist, an old pragmatist at that.

I've gone to our new ward 3 times now. I know it's still the beginning of the year and things haven't gotten settled down, but our ward's sorta weird. I'm still not sure what Sacrament meeting was about. I think it was supposed to be about the temple and the first speaker spoke about why she liked the temple (that was the topic she was given), but the other two speakers didn't really talk a lot about the temple (but they did say a lot that we've since texted back and forth to each other). The Sunday School lesson wasn't a lot better (I'm not sure at all what the topic was except for some anecdotes about a competitive friend from high school).
But Relief Society was a lot better, which restored my faith in the ward--sorta. At least I know that once a month when this girl teaches I'll learn something and enjoy RS. There's a funny story from the lesson that I'll tell in a sec.
The thing that bugs from the ward is that it's pretty fluffy, very much into the "you-need-to-just-feel-good" attitude. That's all well and good, if that's your flavor, go for it. But at church when we're supposed to be discussing doctrines? Honestly...I miss talking about the beautiful truths of the Gospel. I'm too much of a pragmatist: here's truth, let's discuss it and figure out how to apply it in our lives so that we become better people. Outlandish, I know. Hopefully things'll get better. (fingers crossed)

So when girl was teaching the lesson she was discussing about how she went to her home ward for 18 months instead of the single's ward in Detroit. She said that she became really, really good friends with the older women of the ward. We're all thinking the widows, right? Then she says, "I mean a lot older, like 40 or something." I died. Forty??? Problem: bishopric's wives. Hah!! One of their hands immediately shot into the air, "Excuse me??!!" She had a smile on her face and girl teaching was totally embarrassed and didn't mean what she had said and tried to smooth it over by saying, "Well, relatively." Smart. It was hilarious. A lot older. According to G&K's niece that's the downward end of middle aged, which begins at 29. G&K are so old!!

Oh, another age anecdote about people hating on their elders. On Monday we went to the combined FHE ward opening social. By we I mean me and cousin Brock and Twink (his sister not in the ward). Free pizza. Soon after Chance and his 2 buddies showed up. We were talking and Chance was teasing his friend about being old (because he's older than Chance). They were discussing for some reason turning 16. Chance to friend, "Yeah didn't you turn 16 in, what, '95?" Friend, indignant, "A-hole! It wasn't until '97." I responded under my breath for Twink and Brock, "I turned 16 in '95." They enjoyed that. Then Chance started teasing friend again about graduating forever ago in like '97. I responded again, quietly, "I graduated in '97."
People can be such haters. I mean, why do you gotta go being all agist, hating on your elders and all?

So with that, I leave you something funny to round out this rambling post. Hopefully this will help you to always take a good path in your life, fool.



Courtesy of MormonAdz at divinecomedy.net

2 comments:

emily said...

we need to tell the ageists to stop hating and just pull out their happy bag

and you get extra points for the illustrations on this post

emily said...

bicycle bicycle