Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bibliophile

I'm such an addict. I have rules that I've laid out for myself. I'm not allowed to go to Circuit City, for example. I'm not allowed to go to book sales, either, or bookstores, for that matter. Bookstores are disastrous for my checking account. All I was going to get in Barcelona was 1 Harry Potter book and an English-Catalan dictionary. I left with I think 9 books.
Case in point, today I needed to get some ink for my fountain pens so I had to go to the bookstore. I'd already bought a cheap book by José Saramago, A NOITE, at the progressive book sale, so I figured I was safe. I'm weak, so weak. I walked by the foreign book section, you know, the one with grammar books and dictionaries. I started pawing at different languages: Italian, German, Indonesian, etc. I decided that today was a multiple book day. Maybe a French book? But I have tons of those and nothing was jumping out at me. I wandered to the Harry Potter section and saw that the foreign language selection has been dwindling. Very sad. Well it dwindled a little bit more when I bought book 3 in German. But I can't have a book in a language I don't know without a dictionary. And honestly, what good is reading in German if I don't understand the basic grammar of the language?
I'm gonna learn German--but later, after Catalan.
I am weak. Very, very weak.
Books.............

5 comments:

Cassidy said...

I am very much the same. I have vowed not to go into Barnes and Noble unless there is some sort of book emergency.
I wish that I had the talent to learn another language. I can barely speak English!

emily said...

wow. maybe since we don't have an empty bedroom we could model the living room after that last photo. and maybe we should establish a german-only room now...

Marie said...

Is that really a picture of all YOUR books? You might need to consider getting some help for that.

sallysue said...

I too was a victim of the progressive book sale. They're nothing to brag about - the books, but I only paid 4 for two books! I mean, how can you refuse. Another dangerous place is the textbook floor, where there are discontinued books. The flesh is wealk indeed. sigh.

Myra Bybee said...

I have the same problem with bookstores, I always end up buying way too many books! And so I also don't go in these bookstores as often as I would like to.