Saturday, January 29, 2011

Darmok and Chile at Tanagra

I have written some nerdy posts in my time, but this very well might take the cake.

For a while now I've thought about Chilean Spanish and how it's so hard for me to understand. A big reason for this is all of the sayings they use. I mean, it's like insanely impossible to catch what they're saying sometimes, ¿cachai?

It often reminds me of this episode of Star Trek where the aliens du jour speak to each other in metaphors and sayings making the universal translator practically useless until, of course, Picard deciphers the metaphors.



Yes, this is what Chilean Spanish has reminded me of for years and years.
Me and Chilean Spanish = Shaka, when the walls fell.

2 comments:

David said...

yeah, kinda nerdy. but the instant I read the title I knew what you were referring to, so I'm pretty nerdy, too

Vanessa Swenson said...

I had faith that you would know what it was.
It's a fun episode.