Monday, May 3, 2010

The Nexus of Knowledge for the Day

AKA, This led to that which led to yonder thing which brings us to this thingie here
subsubtitled things that might only interest me

I think I might do this more as a chronological rundown of the Nexus of Knowledge that Scottie and I learned in the last 10 minutes:

1-I'm reading book 5 of Harry Potter in Italian (shout-out: Wendy!) right now. There's a spot in chapter two where "April Fool's!" is written. In Italian it's written as Pesce d'aprile! I'd looked it up in my French (poisson d'avril!) and Portuguese (primeiro de abril!) books as this phrase is a linguistic essential.

2-So we searched on Word Reference in Spanish: Día de los Inocentes!, which is what is written in my HP5 ebook in Spanish.

3-I tell Scottie that Día de los Inocentes is actually on December 28th and that I think that it probably comes from the slaughter of the innocents by a wussy Herod who wanted to keep his throne. So we Wikipedia-ed it. Low and behold.

4-Scottie and I become curious about the roots of April Fool's Day. Hello Wikipedia again. Chaucer: HEEEE-EEEYYY.

5-A part of the Wikipedia article mentions the Feast of Fools which was held on December 28th (shout-out to #3!).

6-Suddenly 2 songs from the somewhat skanky French musical Notre Dame de Paris pop (phonetic pun intended) into my head: Le Pape des Fous & La Fête des Fous. These songs link to this part of the Feast of Fools Wikipedia article.

7-I start singing the lyrics to both songs which makes Scottie look at me like I'm slightly crazy. All the while I'm learning about the intrinsic relation that the Feast of Fools has around the Cathedral Notre Dame. I explain this Nexus of Knowledge to Scottie.

8-Scottie says that the Nexus of Knowledge always does come back to French Musicals.


addenda to today's Nexus of Knowledge:
9-It seems to me that Día de los Inocentes was yet another religious holiday that the Catholic church imposed over a pagan holiday to try to draw attention away from the ultra-fun reveling.

10-The mythological history behind Saturnalia "tomfoolery" and "buffoonery," the Titans & the Roman gods makes so much more sense to me as I just finished the Percy Jackson series.




ça, c'est fini, quoi!

6 comments:

sallysue said...

Aaaa, you finished Percy!
Didja like it?
The Egypt book comes out, oh, tomorrow. And a new Camp Half-blood series this fall. woo.
I think I'm obsessed. But I'm okay with that.

Oh, and I liked your Nexus of Knowledge. And as soon as I finish my blasted paper, I will be able to understand it better. (i.e. follow links and read them.)

M said...

I LOVE your posts like this. They teach me more than a lot of the books I read. :-)

Marie said...

Very fun!

Laurel said...

What in the world....

Angela said...

oh I just knew I could count on you to start my day off with a little laugh and knowledge to boot!
The only question I have is how do you have the time to learn so dang much?

Vanessa Swenson said...

oh, Heidi, yes, Percy was good. I've been listening to the Kane Chronicles and I think I might like it a bit more. We'll see...


And, Laurel, this is your world. You're sealed to me and Scottie. You should be used to it by now.