Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A day late, but with a good excuse: Happy Rebirthday to Me!!

As has been previously mentioned on this here blog, I like to celebrate my rebirthday. This year marks my 23rd as a baptized member of the LDS Church.
In celebration, Andy, David and I went to church in Vegas because the day before we'd been scampering around Red Rock just outside of the city. The ward (whichever one it was, because we just crashed a 9am meeting) was extremely excellent, which only added to the great weekend.

So to continue my rebirthday churchy posting tradition:

Yesterday in Relief Society* they were discussing the Holy Ghost, as I imagine a lot of wards were. The teacher brought up Gifts of the Spirit (10-33) during the discussion and I was reminded of what Elder McConkie said about the Gifts of the Spirit. He said that the faithful are expected to seek the gifts of the Spirit with all their hearts**.
So this got me thinking about how sometimes we pigeon-hole ourselves, thinking that these are the talents that we've been given, and we shouldn't bury them or anything, because that's not good, but forget that we should not only develop these talents, but righteously desire and pray for that which we don't have.
That got me thinking about why we've been commanded to do so. A few of the many possible answers came into my head:

  1. God answers prayers of the honest and contrite heart, and immediately begins preparing an answer that will best help us return to Him (2nd part via a great comment from Lily Huntington nearly-Mott during a Sacrament Meeting talk in the illustrious 73rd Ward [the talk given the same Sunday that Kathy had borrowed her Ensign to give her own talk]).
  2. If we have prayed for something, or have been praying for something, our hearts and minds will be more willing to recognize and accept the help given (and be more grateful).
  3. When we've prayed for something, essentially a miracle, and our hearts are in the right spot, this influence from the Spirit of God will strengthen our testimonies, and perhaps those around us.

So those are my thoughts on my rebirthday and the day after.


*In Portuguese it's nicknamed "Soc Soc" said SOH-kee SOH-kee where the ee is barely voiced. It's short for Sociedade de Socorro.
**Mormon Doctrine, under "Gifts of the Spirit"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it. Happy rebirthday! And I wish I kept track of my sisters comments as well as you do. Kudos.

Marie said...

I have always wanted the gift of discernment. Several experiences in life have shown that I lack it. Well I guess I'd better get praying:).

Vanessa Swenson said...

Thanks, Betsy!

And somewhere, I'm sure, Elder McConkie just smiled, Marie.