Thursday, April 22, 2010

Red Rock Adventure

A couple of weekends ago Andy, David, Kathy (who had joined us for the afternoon) went to Red Rock Canyon just outside of Vegas. Here's their pitiful website.
The four of us clambered up somewhat steep rocks (at least for a novice like me), in a small canyon off the normal path. It was really quiet, minus the hippie guy entertaining his lady and daughter with some sort of wood flute. But after we passed them by, all we heard was wind, bees and birds.
I realized that I had this goofy grin on my face for a large part of the time because I was having so much fun.
All I had was my camera phone, but the pictures are mostly ok.
This is the entrance to the part of the canyon where we hiked:
There were lots of exciting small, exciting arches as well as some random holes in the rock:
I was hoping this picture would show better how steep the first bit of scrambling was, mostly because I want people to think we're cool. You'll just have to trust me.
We hit one sorta plateau area in the canyon and stopped to talk for a while. The black on the rock is called desert varnish, which I learned that day from Andy. You can see a bit of my goofy grin:
I think the next picture shows how cool the rock was that we were scrambling up:
I told Kathy to pose and smile and this is what we got:
David also obliged me:
There was this really cool part where we had to lean up against the rock with our back and use our feet as a counter pressure so that we could sidle our way down the slot canyon.
This is Kathy trying to figure out how to use my camera phone. Andy said it was a perfect fac3book profile picture. If only Stick had a FB profile...
Here's Andy sticking his head thru an arch in the rock:
And here we are, sigh..., having to leave:

All in all it was completely excellent and I want to do it again soon.

4 comments:

M said...

Just about the only things I miss about Utah are the rocks and my friends. I'm all nostalgic now, darn it! :-)

rantipoler said...

So cool! Hey, at least the website has a picture of "Chucky, a chuckwalla." That's important stuff right there.

Frau Magister said...

Stick lives!

Marie said...

Looks like a lot of fun.