Thursday, March 25, 2010

and now for something completely different

I was just minding my own today and happened to take my headphones out and overheard a conversation that was happening down the way from me. I had to constrain my laughter because I didn't want them to know I could hear because I just wanted it to keep going and going.
So I thought I'd share some highlights:

In response to a comment that I didn't hear:
"Oh Oh Oh, I know where you're going with this! My sister was a stripper. . .Well, first she was a seamstress, then a hair stylist. Then she just needed money so badly. But, you know, that was back in the day."
I mean, who shares this in casual conversation?

Want some more?
"Kids who live on farms have an immune system that's 30-40% stronger because of all of the filth floating up from the animals."
Isn't that mindset what helped spread the Black Plague?

And, finally, talking about houses:
"Do you know any normal women who spend time at home with the kids all day and have a spotless house? It's all ADHD."


These are the kinds of eavesdroppings that you live for.

9 comments:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

this reminds me of two stories...both happened at kneaders. one was the most awkward date ever. it contained awesome moments like, "so...um....(long pause)...what's your favorite food?" the other was today. two girls extensively discussing what time and how often and for how long they study the scriptures since coming home from their missions. strippers would have been more interesting. it was all i could do to not go sit next to them and start talking about ANYthing at all...anything to keep us all from dying of the boringness of their conversation!

Vanessa Swenson said...

hahahahah. oh man, I need to go to Kneaders more often.
thanks for the share.

Lydia and Josh said...

so awesome!

rantipoler said...

Gah! Who are these people? Don't they have parents?

Vanessa Swenson said...

The person who said it is about 50 years old.
I imagine his parents were cringing someplace and didn't even know why the reflex hit them.

Julie Rae said...

Please explain to my husband that it's ok to eavesdrop. If people are going to say stupid things in public, then we have the right to listen in and mock them. He always gets after me . . . although it could be because I'm supposed to be listening to him, but the crazies around me draw my attention. Do you ever wonder what other people think of our conversations?

Vanessa Swenson said...

Julie, I think we should invite Annie and her husband to our Sunday family dinners. They'd be well impressed, no?

Larissa said...

And the one from my hometown in Ohio where the lady working the Starbuck's inside the Kroger was talking about how it is okay to kiss your cousins, but having sex with them is just too far...!!!!

Vanessa Swenson said...

ack! I told Andy and David your comment and they were sufficiently disgusted. Then we were trying to figure out if there was a time limit on cousin kissing.