Thursday, November 6, 2008

the GOP regrouping at homebase

I can't believe that I'm about to write this entry.

The GOP needs to regroup and needs to do it fast. Among the leadership of the party down many, many republicans that I've talked to, there seems to be a lack of continuity of idea. The party needs to gather around strong leaders that represent the best of the GOP, leaders who have a vision of the future.
Man alive, am I going to write this? The GOP needs to rally around Mitt Romney (and people just like him). The reason why is that his basic political beliefs are exactly the core ideals of what the GOP has had as its backbone for the last I don't know how many decades.

The political stances of the bulk of the members of American political parties tend to clump together in a moderate middle. By that I mean a moderate position within the party's ideology. The bell curve below shows the Republican party circa 1998. The party was fairly united on many core Republican issues. Because of this unity, the ideology of the Republican party looked a lot like a good bell curve:
There are obviously some going to be some people who are more the right or the middle of the party. But the majority will be found in the middle.

People in the W. Bush administration (note, not necessarily the President) pushed a political stance that was much farther to the Right than the so-called "base" of the party.
i.e.
It was a very sly movement on their part, and not totally perceptible, but it happened.
Because of this movement, it made the Democratic party look farther Left than it really was:
The Dems actually were much more of a standard deviation bell curve this whole time. If anything they were leaning toward the middle because it gave them more political clout and helped them to keep their Congressional seats. But it looked skewed because of the Administration's movement.


But what happened to the Republicans? Well, eventually this movement to the Right became obvious and very unsettling to many member of the GOP. In an effort to reestablish the middle ground, people started to look for political positions and ideas to help fix the problems in America. Because there was no longer a firm foundation in the middle, the GOP started to look like this:
There were calls for this and that from all over the spectrum of political opinion. Do you remember hearing anything during the GOP primaries/caucuses and national campaign that carried a solid theme that had actual planning and information behind it? Rarely was there a constant ideology. Senator McCain was trying to rally a disparate Republican party that had no unity in their ideas. This unfortunately made his campaign struggle in their message to the American people as a whole because they didn't know how to calm down the party.

So what's to be done? The GOP needs to examine the basic difficulties in America today, then look at its core ideology and come up with unified front of ideas. These plans must be worked on and then explained to every senator and congressman, who must then clearly explain the ideas to their constituents.

We'll see if this happens. The GOP needs a plan for America, yes. But first they must rein in all of the outlying ideas and move the party back to its center. We'll see if the RNC can do this. We'll know by February.

9 comments:

Marie said...

I don't have much to say about politics, but I do have something to say about music. So, I have made it through a few of the songs, listening to them several times. I can get one letter from them all-P. They all seem to indicate a P. So does your 14,000+ songs. I thought I had a lot at 800...
In addition, "Here is now" is definitely an S talking to an N.
Both "Sad Waltzes" and "Desire" sound like they're written by a T. In fact "Sad Waltzes" sounds like what I've heard ETPs say, but then I've had quite a bit of experience with them, so I might be automatically assuming that when it could be some other letters. Not having read the book myself (I know, shame on me-its reputation preceeded your mentioning-it was Bill Clinton's favorite book after all), I don't know anything about the character outside of this wikipedia entry.
I will get to the others.

Diana said...

Wow Vanessa, I didn't know you had it in you... Romney? I'm impressed. ;)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Well, I was rather dumbfounded myself, to be honest.

Summer said...

I agree we need a Romney, but one with a more popular religion.

rantipoler said...

I like your graphs. Thanks for the political (sorta) chat today.

Teresa said...

Hey Vanessa, I stumbled across your blog this afternoon. Enjoyed reading this post. I think you are right- the GOP has alienated a lot of people. I personally think that they have screwed up big-time. Bobby Jindal (LA gov)has been cast as the next new "idea" guy- you should check him out he is pretty cool.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Teresa! I was just thinking about you yesterday. How have you been? What are you up to?
Bobby Jindal is a really interesting man, I agree. I think that he could be part of the new face of the Republican party. It'd be interesting to see if he'll contemplate a run in 2012. The GOP is pretty slow at accepting change. A young governor from Louisiana might be a bit of a shock. But the Republicans need it.
I'm thinking it might take 8 years to recover and have a strong, unified message--at least with regards to the presidency.

David said...

I think your graph just disproved global warming.

Vanessa Swenson said...

well, it was meant for the GOP.