Wednesday, November 5, 2008

44

That number has always been a cool one in our family, anyway.
But I especially like it tonight.

Thanks for everyone who GChatted me congrats, left a comment or texted me. It's as if I won myself. It made me smile.
Laurel and I broke out the fake Mormon Champagne and had a jolly good time.

When I saw McCain's speech, I ached for him though. I really wish that he had gotten the GOP nomination in '00. He would've won easily, I think, that year. I would've voted for him then, too, I'm guessing. Oh, how these last 8 years would've been different.

But my craziness of the day? Yes, I wrote in my mom's name under County Commission - Seat C
I usually don't vote for someone who's running uncontested, but this time I pulled a trick.

But I'm pretty overwhelmingly excited as all get out. Yep, stoked.
Whoop!
It's a new thing for me, voting for a winner.

5 comments:

sallysue said...

If anyone thinks you celebrating is gloating, well, they're silly! You've put a lot of time and effort into this, while still living in a (bit less) red state!

Happy for you!

Oh, and I'd much rather have your 'gloating' then the crap I'm probably going to hear in class tomorrow, directed at nameless conservatives. sigh. Some people's children. You are at least tactful, and you include Mormon champagne!

emily said...

voting for a winner... so your mom won? awesome!

...

anyway, happy for you? sure. happy for our country? much more so. not that i'm surprised. but still i am a little relieved that i don't have to go into self-exile, because the logistics could be a hassle and i just got settled and happy in a new place.

watching his speech felt a little like watching a fairy tale movie. had to keep reminding myself that it was real. at one point while their daughters were on stage i was thinking that it's cool they're going to go to public school in dc, and then i realized that i was thinking of matt santos' kids. dumb. but can you blame me?

Marie said...

It is funny that Obama is only three years older than the number president he will be (and one year younger than Bono:). Congrats on choosing the winner.

Brittany said...

Vanessa you make me laugh!

Vanessa Swenson said...

sallysue: I'm really not sure how much of my supposed effort got Obama elected. Maybe there's election karma. I dunno.

marie: I know you'd vote for Bono if you could. But I'm thinking you'd rather have him as your Veep, with The Edge at the top of the ticket.

brittany: can't you just imagine my mom on a county commission? it might actually be civilized--and they'd have great breadsticks at their meetings.

skylark: Matt Santos! So funny! I know, doesn't this feel a bit like the 7th season?
But I don't know if new chief of staff Rahm Emanuel looks much like Josh Lemon Lyman.
Yeah, last night was nice.
Hmm, I think I might just throw in a DVD. "I'm Marion Coatsworth Hay." "It's a simple equation. Bartlet rules America; America rocks; therefore Bartlet rocks." "What, you want to tempt the wrath of whatever from high atop the thing?"
"Toby: Let a smile be your umbrella, Margaret.
Margaret: Okay now you're scaring the crap out of me, Toby."
"Dry rub? I love dry rub!"