Tuesday, November 18, 2008

an addendum to Sauron's eye/new planet picture thingie

ESPN.com can be useful in so many ways. I just found this picture in an article from ESPN that helps us find the planet (referenced in an earlier blog post) around Formalhaut, the brightest star in the constellation Piscis. This is pretty cool:
For a better view, click here.

Isn't that simply amazing? Wow. I love the stars.

Speaking of stars, you know my favorite part about Winter? The stars in the night sky. Aren't the winter stars beautiful?I love Orion, it's such a great constellation. And the star Sirius in the bottom left corner of the picture is great. I think I'm going to post sometime soon about Sirius and the Egyptians, and the Mormon connection. If I forget, remind me. It's pretty schwank.

7 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

I love stars. I wrote a poem in which I talk about Sirius, so I would be curious to know more about the Egyptian and Mormon connection. Please?

rantipoler said...

Orion is by far my favorite constellation. One of my mission companions even wrote a song about how Orion pines for me. It was pretty cool. I don't always love spending time in my hometown, but one thing I do love about it is the clarity of the night sky. You can see the Milky Way from my house. :)

emily said...

what? your favorite part about winter is NOT the snow??

Vanessa Swenson said...

my my, Em, I smell a snark.

Sahara said...

Yes please do post about stars, Egyptians and Mormons. That would be quite interesting. I have always wanted to see the arora borealis.

I like the ocean view.

emily said...

wow! your sense of smell crosses two state lines?

what exactly does snarkiness smell like, anyway?

Vanessa Swenson said...

2 state lines and Area 51. My olfaction is pretty well awesome.