Wednesday, April 8, 2009

a quick note on prayer

aka, it's late but I want to blog. Although this might be more impactful of a story to me and nothing short of goofy, every time I've lost something and prayed to find it, it's been found. In fact, when I was 12, my Fine Young Cannibals cassette tape went missing. Anyone who knows the song She Drives me Crazy and how awesome it is, recognizes how bummed I would be. I looked and looked, but couldn't find it. So I said a prayer...
Years later my mom was reorganizing her room and she came across the tape. I'm really not trying to be facetious. Every time I've prayed to find something, I've found it. Sometimes it's just taken years.
This includes the time that I thought I lost my camera in the middle of nowhere Brazil while traveling with Melissa and Tom. I said a prayer knowing that I was probably a good 6 hours from the place where it would've gone missing. The camera was found the next morning in my stuff in a place where I'm fairly certain I looked.
I'm just saying that prayer works, especially for my lost items.


As a linguistic side note, if you click on the impactful word from above, the link takes you to urbandictionary. Beneath the word impactful is the phrase "A non-existent word coined by..." Um? Non-existent? I'm fairly certain it exists because we can use it and both you and I know what it means. The person might not like the word, but it really does exist. Sorta like heighth.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Great post! I totally agree. When I was 6 I lost my cabbage patch kids pacifier. Funny I know! Needless to say I was devastated! Long story short... I prayed and found it 4 days later! It does work! BTW do you ever sleep? What are you doing up at 2 am? Take a unisom girl! :)

emily said...

and then there was that time you prayed to find your hamster and the damn thing ran right between your knees!

Vanessa Swenson said...

hah hah! oh man, I hadn't thought of that in a while. yes...my hamster...


I've actually never tried unisom, Britt. hmmmm maybe I should. I'm glad that the pacifier turned up.

Frau Magister said...

I hope you are in the relief society general presidency some day and tell this story in general conference. It's a great story about the Lord's timing.

Vanessa Swenson said...

hah! perhaps. but can you imagine someone in the RS Gen Pres with the nickname Venom?