Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Astronomically cool

**You're probably not seeing the whole image, b/c I just checked and my computer isn't showing it. Just click on the picture and the whole thing'll show up.**


These pictures are hard to believe, but they're real.
Isn't that amazing?

Anyway, just outside (in galactic terms) of our galaxy, we find the Large Magellanic Cloud. (There's a Small M.C., too.) Inside the cloud there's star building going on like you can't believe. Some of these stars are gargantuan. Their length of life is a fraction of the length of our sun and they can be 10-60 times heavier than our sun. This means they burn faster and when they explode, man, it's HUGE.
Here's a nice view of the Sombrero Galaxy:


Here are some other shots that I fancy:



I get lost looking up at the sky. I love constellations.
What got me on this specific kick today? An article about NFL football on ESPN. Go figure.


All of these pictures are courtesy of the Hubble Telescope.

5 comments:

Allie said...

Venom--

I just wanted to say how much I totally appreciate your love of the heavens. It's always so fun to come to your blog and see the fantastic pictures you post! I love this sort of thing too, but just not enough for it to enter my mind too much, so this is like the only place I ever see pics like that. The universe is basically the coolest place around. ^.~

Anyway, just thinking of how awesome you are. Love!

nateandrebecca said...

Wow! Those pictures are amazing!

Lili said...

You just got a loud and audible "WOW" from me with that Sombrero Galazy.
LOVE IT

rantipoler said...

Wow, those are beautiful photos.

Marie said...

I want to know how to make one!