Monday, February 4, 2008

President Monson

I was at institute today with Brock at 11 when they showed the announcement of the new 1st Presidency. It was really great, and I loved hearing the announcement of Elder Uchtdorf. Here's to hoping that we get more "When-I-was-a-747-pilot" stories!
I admit it, though, that it still seems a little bit weird to me to not have President Hinckley there. Remember during the memorial service when they showed the chairs for the 1st Presidency and President Hinckley's was empty? Man, talk about sad.

But I'm really excited for more stories in conference. It's going to be interesting to see where he leads the church. There's been a lot of talk lately focusing on his work with overcoming poverty. And how about that question today about only having leaders who are "Native Americans?" Ummm, okay. But I liked his answer about missionaries serving around the world and this adding to our comprehension as a people. And how about his favorite color being yellow?

Did you know that he loves brownies? My friend Tseegii served in the area where he lives and he would always invite her over to have some brownies.
I was talking with some senior missionaries once at Temple Square and they told me about this time that this tall man dressed casually was walking thru the square and the sisters stopped and talked to him, answered his questions and committed him to something (can't remember). As he was walking away the senior elder walked over to the sisters and told them that they'd just contacted President Monson. They were, of course, surprised. President Monson then stopped his walk, turned around and waved. He thanked them for doing their job so well.
This begs the question, would you recognize a member of the 12 in casual clothes?



3 comments:

Brock Krainik said...

I blogged about it too. I like how you mentioned me in your blog and you even linked my name to my blog. I now feel important. Can't wait for the caucus!

Myra Bybee said...

I am excited for the new First Presidency. I love how the Church works!

rantipoler said...

Do members of the 12 wear casusal clothes? I mean, in public?