Thursday, January 3, 2013

PolyFloral Delivery

Being home has reminded me of tons of stories

During my senior year of high school and the following summer, I delivered flowers. The shop in Spanish Fork had a wide-reaching delivery area to the south, b/c pretty much no one would deliver to some of the mini-towns that exist south of here. The weekend of Mother's Day was the worst. The second worst weekend was Father's Day.

One of my deliveries was in Mona. If you're not familiar with Mona, it's in Juab County, south of Utah County and it's the size of your palm, kinda. The town is really small but the geographical reach of Mona is like huge. I couldn't find this one address. We're talking life before GPS, 1997. I got to the post office just before it closed, thankfully, and asked the guy if he knew where the address was. He looked at me making this weird face and told me that there a bunch of people that lived on the bench of a mountain and where to go.

So I drove up a long road and got to this area where there were a couple of houses, one being built and some trailers, but no real addresses. So confusing. I finally just got out and walked up to a man and asked him if he knew So-and-So. There were tons of kids out playing and stuff because it was a warm June day. The guy said that he could give the flowers to So-and-So. I thanked him and pulled away in the delivery van.

Then it hit me. Postal guy's weird look. Two and a half houses. Lots of trailers. Polygamists.
Happy Father's Day, indeed.

No comments: