Wednesday, November 28, 2012

overly obedient

Today a memory randomly flew into my mind while I was teaching.
Years ago I worked at the MTC Copy Center (which tons of people heard as "Coffee Center" and ended up well confused). One day an elder brought in a project but had forgotten his cash. Normally we'd tell the missionary to bring it back once he had his money. This time I jokingly told the elder that he needed to do twenty push-ups to rectify his blunder. I turned away to do his job fast and looked back to tell him that it'd be done in a sec, but he was gone. His companion was still there, so I was really confused. Then I looked outside the copy center and the elder had dropped to do the push-ups.

Sometimes jokes get swallowed up in the missionary flare for obedience.


And I chuckled in class for no reason apparent to my students.

5 comments:

M said...

WOW! That's madness. I mean, I guess he just wanted to be "good." But really! Puts me in mind of sheep-like behavior.

As to random chuckles in class - it can only be a benefit. Students think you're listening to their not-in-target-language conversations and snap back to reality. :-)

Larissa said...

I think I remember you telling us this story! MAN, I miss the days of coming upstairs and hearing your stories:-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

His companion unfortunately didn't look surprised but gave an oh-not-again face.

I'm SURE I told this story in one of the many Pinegar chats. The MTC Copy Center was my glory days. Jocks have high school, I have the MTCCC.

the pachuco cross said...

man, I kept looking for the like button and wondering what was wrong with my internets that it wasn't displaying properly before I realized that I wasn't in facebook...

Vanessa Swenson said...

Heh. I want to like your comment, Chris.